Loose USB ports on HP Laptop

dragonflyspit

Baseband Member
It's an HP dv7 1133cl. All 4 USB ports are sloppy and the plugs fall out easily, don't make constant contact, etc.

I'm soon going to be using an external hard drive with this machine, so I won't be able to afford this sloppy contact. I need at least one, solid USB connection. I've had several laptop computers before, but I don't ever remember having trouble with poor USB connectivity. I suspect it's this model's overall shoddy construction.

What are my options?

Can I replace USB ports? How do I know what to buy so I don't end up with more sloppy ports? Any brands, specifics, etc. I should look for when replacing one (or more) of these ports?

Thanks in advance,

K

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what part I need.

On the exploded view here: www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01689926.pdf, HP lists two different part numbers for a USB board, one for "use in computers with UMA graphics subsystems" and one for "discreet graphics subsystems." I don't know what those terms mean or how to find out what my laptop has. Also, my 1133cl isn't exactly like the model in their diagram. My optical drive is between the power jack and USB ports, for one thing, but I'm guessing that doesn't matter.

I looked up the HP part number thinking it would help me find the right replacement part even though I don't want an OEM part (original parts are junk on this laptop). I just don't know enough about this to know what parts are interchangeable. "LS-4082P dual USB board" appears often in my eBay search results, but that's not even close the the HP part number.
HP Pavilion dv7 usb board in Computer Components & Parts | eBay

Your insight would be appreciated.

When I find the right part, are there any brands that I should look for, or any I should avoid? All the jacks on this laptop were sloppy from the start, so I don't want to buy more junk like what it came with.

What graphics card do you have in your laptop?

Check Device Manager under Display Adapters.

Also....you can't go with anything else but OEM parts when it comes to laptops. They are built proprietary. you might find one HP part might interchange with another HP part, but you generally can't take parts from one manufacture and put it on another. It's kinda like putting a ford engine into a chevy. It can be done I'm sure but it's might be easier to take your tonsils out through your backside

The USB ports will have to wait until after I fix the screen issue. I'll post anew later if I need help. Thank you both.

Back
Top Bottom