Loose AM2 socket base....how to secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
So my friend has an AM2 board, not sure the make yet but he was saying that the motherboard's cpu socket, whatever it's called (white part that receives the pins with the lock down arm) is loose and the fixture with the cpu in it can move. He says it still runs ok, the cooler seems to be holding it in place right now.

Has anyone experienced this problem before? Is there a safe way to secur that component without damaging the motherboard?

I'm going to try and get some more information from him in the meantime.

So in talking more with him he says its the little bracket arm that secures the cpu in, it doesn't stay down. with the heatsink secured on it its held in place and seems to run fine. I'm just wondering how significant an issue it is, could this lead to other problems? Or no worries since the heatsink has it in place?

It may lead to problems in the future, but if I was him I would replace the motherboard, or if possible RMA it to where he got it from... Strange that the lever isn't locking...

i had a mobo that the lock thing was broken like what i think his is doing...i RMAed it and got another one, I'm not sure if it would lead to any problems but i wouldn't take any chances.

no can RMA and is a nice board. As for the locking arm, I miss interpreted him, the arm locks but he says it just doesn't feel as secure as other boards do...not 100% what he means by that.

Also, side note, i have an older barton amd system running for no real reason, i just picked up a cpu for it, was $2.00, 2800+, bent pins but once i straightened them out the cpu works fine. Does this mean its as good as new again or is it weakened? Would i have additional problems trying to OC it as compared to a new one? Anyway to test if the cpu is back at 100%? stress test maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom