Looks like the GTX 280 OCX is kicking the bucket :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slam'n Systems

Veteran Techist Member
Well,
Past few days I have been having full system lockups while gaming in Bad Company 2. I updated my drivers and decided I should run HWMonitor to see how the temperatures were doing.

I can't even recall the CPU Temperatures, though, I am not concerned .. because what caught my eye was nerve racking enough.

After playing GTA IV for about 20 minutes, I checked HWMonitor to see my GPU Temperature sitting at 100* C. The highest it got was 102* C.

Since then, I have been running the GPU Fan at 100%. (And yes, the GPU fan is clean like it's brand new). Doesn't matter, every game I play, within minutes the temperature will sit between 95*C - 99*C @ 100% Fan Speed.

I am suspecting this is the cause for my lockups, and since I have been keeping track of the temps, the lockups keep getting more repetitive and swift. (Crashed, restarted computer, went into different game, crashed again 40 seconds later).

Of course, I do love BFG-Tech for their awesome service so I got an RMA # today and will be uninstalling it from the PC probably on Sunday and shipping it out to them on Monday. It will suck not having my PC for a few weeks, but whatever.

// In the back of my mind, I am hoping they have no stock of the GTX 280 OCX's so I get a GTX 285. :sweat: Rep told me due to no longer producing GTX 280's anymore, they may not have stock of the OCX so they will send me, most likely, a GTX 285 OC. I guess it kinda makes this problem worth while .. but still bothersome.

Well, I RMA'd this card nearly a month ago and still haven't gotten my card back.

While I am on vacation for this week, I decided to give BFG a call yesterday as I would like my card back for when I get back from vaca on Sunday.

Come to find out, a card still hasn't been shipped to me, and BFG actually got out of the video card business a month or two ago. Asking when it would ship out, the guy said his supervisor is still filling RMA orders from back in FEBRUARY!!

So, with the idea that I may not have this card back for 4 months, I decided to order a new EVGA Superclocked GTX 480 Video Card yesterday from NewEgg for $524.

Nice on the new card. That's why I don't like RMA'ing though, never know how long it's going to take (usually something wrong happens too...).

The reason that I originally bought my GTX 280 from BFG-Tech was because I once RMA'd an 8800 320mb GTS from BFG that was my friends card, which went bad, and he was just going to throw it out.

BFG asked no questions, I sent it to them, and less then 2 weeks later, I got the newer 8800 512mb GTS. I figured their support was top notch, but now that they are out of the video card industry... well, their support isn't too good. x_x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom