Looking for some bios help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Question Looking for some bios help

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum but not super new to computer stuff, and I'm having some trouble updating my bios.

I have windows 7 64 bit, and I would like to update my bios on my ASUS P5N-D motherboard because the computer does not sleep, and I think that updating the bios may help resolve this issue.

I have found the bios support page on ASUS's website, but the bios flash utility they provide will not install on my computer, I have selected that my operating system is windows 7 64 bit, but it still will not install.

This is the page i found the bios utility on, and I selected the correct motherboard model and operating system:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

all help is appreciated, please let me know if there is another flash bios upgrade utility that I can use.

Thanks,

Derek

Old 01-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Looking for some bios help

Welcome to TF!

Did you enable the ability to sleep? It's somewhere in BIOS.

Secondly, you mostly have to go into BIOS, using a pen drive, to update it. Otherwise, you boot up with those files on it.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lady Techie

I used to have the P5N-D, I was always able to use the utility in XP; 7 wasn't out when I had it though.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 01-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindoverMaster View Post
Welcome to TF!

Did you enable the ability to sleep? It's somewhere in BIOS.

Secondly, you mostly have to go into BIOS, using a pen drive, to update it. Otherwise, you boot up with those files on it.
how exactly do i get into bios and enable the ability to sleep? and what is a pen drive?

i pressed delete while it was booting up and found out that I am using bios version 603 and version 1204 is the latest version, which is a long way to go. I tried putting the new version on it in that setup mode with a USB drive (because it told me I could) and it turned out that i couldn't do squat with it.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roweder View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum but not super new to computer stuff, and I'm having some trouble updating my bios.

I have windows 7 64 bit, and I would like to update my bios on my ASUS P5N-D motherboard because the computer does not sleep, and I think that updating the bios may help resolve this issue.

I have found the bios support page on ASUS's website, but the bios flash utility they provide will not install on my computer, I have selected that my operating system is windows 7 64 bit, but it still will not install.

This is the page i found the bios utility on, and I selected the correct motherboard model and operating system:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

all help is appreciated, please let me know if there is another flash bios upgrade utility that I can use.

Thanks,

Derek
Just out of random curiosity, why would the software not install on your system? Any specific reason or error code? Just thought about asking since you did mention you choosing the correct OS which is Windows 7 64-bit and the website SUPPOSE to have a separate version of the software for that OS. Since I don't think they would make a separate page with a copy of the 32-bit installer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roweder View Post
how exactly do i get into bios and enable the ability to sleep? and what is a pen drive?

i pressed delete while it was booting up and found out that I am using bios version 603 and version 1204 is the latest version, which is a long way to go. I tried putting the new version on it in that setup mode with a USB drive (because it told me I could) and it turned out that i couldn't do squat with it.
Usb drive = pen drive
You already went into the bios by hitting the delete button.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

For Sleep mode in BIOS:

Power Management Settings:

Sleep State:
Old 01-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

windows7 pro 64bit
go to control panel
go to power options
go to change when the computer sleeps (left side of screen)
see how many minutes its set at
Old 02-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelm3103 View Post
Just out of random curiosity, why would the software not install on your system? Any specific reason or error code? Just thought about asking since you did mention you choosing the correct OS which is Windows 7 64-bit and the website SUPPOSE to have a separate version of the software for that OS. Since I don't think they would make a separate page with a copy of the 32-bit installer.

Usb drive = pen drive
You already went into the bios by hitting the delete button.
The error i'm getting is this:

Old 02-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Have you tried the previous solutions (going into the BIOS or changing the setup in control panel)? Also seems the installer you downloaded isn't compatible with 64bit.

Just checking, is this what you downloaded?

Old 02-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelm3103 View Post
Have you tried the previous solutions (going into the BIOS or changing the setup in control panel)? Also seems the installer you downloaded isn't compatible with 64bit.

Just checking, is this what you downloaded?

That is what i downloaded, i tried to go into the bios by pressing del when the computer was starting up, but I couldn't change anything, it just said disk A: and C: but i couldn't see anything inside of either of them, and i've tried changing the setup in control panel, i've had it set to sleep after 20 minutes, but all that it does is restart and go to the welcome screen and do nothing, so now it's set to never sleep. - are you referring to different settings in the control panel?

Closed Thread