Looking for answers, baffled :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quaver

Beta member
Hi all,

Last september, my oldish Phillips freevents (core 2 duo, 2gb ddr2 ram, some oldish nvidea gfx card) decided to not turn on one day. So I ring phillips, they take it away, bring it back and hey presto, everything is hunky dory. It wasn't a new tower, and I know the power supply hadn't just gone, so I assume they either replaced the mobo, falty piece of h/w or both.

A month or so later, my mum started getting BSOD quite often, so she rang phillips up as I was away at Uni. They came, replaced the gfx card, I think, and it once again worked for a while.

That christmas, the computer started going extremely sporadic with its problems, but they are all similar. Sometimes it would not even get past the white Phillips screen that appears the second it is turned on, other times it will get to the windows sliding loading bar and stay on it forever. The HD busy indicator (or whatever they are these days) is solid orange and doesn't flash. So, since I have spare parts lieing around, I checked any suitability problems and then started changing around to try and get a result.

At first, the new HD made all the difference, it worked for 6 weeks solid without a problem...and then the exact same problem returned and it would /never/ get past either the phillips white screen or the loading windows bar on vista. So, fed up, I bought a new computer.

10 or so months later, and now up to real time, I was just about to buy another new computer yesterday when I saw the old tower glistening in the corner of my eye, and before purchasing (which I have now anyway), I decided to rig it back up with little hope.

To my suprise, it worked fine. I restarted it 3 or 4 times to try and get the freezing problem but it works like a charm. It's lay dormant with its side off for 10 month. However, WoW was not out of date due to all of the cataclysm patches, so I ran the update and went to bed. Woke up with the pc off, and now it is exactly back to where it was, it just won't load, yet it worked fine for maybe 8 hours just before, even though it was completly knackered 10 month ago =/

Not that I care too much, but I really would like to know what the possible causes of this are. Phillips have tried to fix it 3 times and I've played around with it- it's just got a mind of its own. Simple problem?

Any help appreciated - cheers :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom