Long BIOS POST Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJENKINS

Beta member
Afternoon all!

I recently bought a new cd driver Newegg.com - HP Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA 24X Multiformat DVD Writer and a new computer case Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case. I went to boot up and my BIOS POST message lasted for roughly 5-7 mins. I reformated and I'm still having the problem, which wasn't the case before installation of the new products. The messages I'm getting are below. This is the first step in learning how to build computers/fix problems... obviously slow in progress.

I've tried different sata cables and I've unplugged the dvd driver, which did resolve the HP DVD Writer problem. I've ran out of ideas and have ran into dead ends on researching problems on the internet. What can I do, if anything, to fix this problem?

BIOS Post Message

Auto-Detecting Pri Master..IDE Hard Disk
Auto-Detecting SATA2..ATAPI CD-ROM
Pri Master : ST3120026a 8.01
Ultra DMA Mode-5, S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status OK
SATA2 Hard Disk: HP DVD Writer 1270t CH23
Ultra DMA Mode-5
Auto-detecting USB Mass Storage Devices ..
00 USB mass storage devices found and configured.

Computer Spec

Mainboard : Asus M3A32-MVP DELUXE
Chipset : AMD 790FX
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ @ 3000MHz
Physical Memory : 2048MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Hard Disk : Seagate ST3120026A (120GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : Hewlett-Packard DVD Writer 1270t
Monitor Type : ViewSonic VA721 - 17 inches
Network Card : Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Yukon 88E8056 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3 (32-bit)

Thanks. :grin:

As an initial FYI you will never have to reformat or reinstall your OS because of POST issues. So you don't have to go through that unnecessary trouble.

Have you tried booting up with out the USB storage device attached?

Have you tried disconnecting the new CD Drive and booting up without any CD drive?

I would have made a quick review to ensure all the connections are ok and....probably it could be a defective drive....try using this drive in another computer!!!!

Thanks for the response King X13 and DTECH.

I don't think its a compatibility issue or i think it wouldn't work. Is the problem that its not "detecting" it right away? Whats the reason for a slow BIOS POST Message? Anyways, I disconnected the two USB wires that came with the monitor (for the USB ports on the front of the computer case) and I also disconnected the CD Drive. I'm still getting this message.

Auto-Detecting Pri Master..IDE Hard Disk
Pri Master : ST3120026a 8.01
Ultra DMA Mode-5, S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status OK
Auto-detecting USB Mass Storage Devices ..
00 USB mass storage devices found and configured.

DTECH

I've checked and rechecked the connections. The driver itself installs stuff just fine. I've installed my drivers/etc from reformatting. I'd try it in another computer if I had one :)

POST = power On Self test. It has absolutely nothing to do with your OS or any reformat. That applies to all drivers as well as the POST is a hardware test and uses no software (and drivers are software instructions for the OS on how to use the hardware).

Something is hanging your boot process. Since it seems to be stuck with USB, try disconnecting all USB connections before booting. My wife's mouse was going bad and was doing something very similar to this with her computer.

Since you don't have another computer to try the drive in, disable it (unhook its connections) if disconnecting all USB connections doesn't do the trick. The drive may work but it could very well be the problem, too.

The real problem is an unknown. While trial and error is not the best diagnostic tool, it does work. Since the problem is vague it is all we have to work with for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom