lol New Harddrive failure? Help please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akubane

Fully Optimized
Yo,

Just lookin for some opinions I suppose.

I've got a nearly brand new seagate 1tb hd giving me some troubles. (It was bound to happen after spreading seagate propaganda every chance i got lol)

Never had this happen to a hard drive before so i'm just wondering if the problem sounds liek it can be fixed through home diagnostics, or if I've actually got to pull out the manufacturers warranty.

Problem: I was watching an episode of an anime series (Kiddy Grade, AVI), the player froze (mplayerclassic), I heard a series of loud clicking-type noises from the hard drive (kinda sounded like... skipping?) then.. nothing. I had to end process on MPC. I then opened windows drive managment to see if there was a quick diagnostics tool to run (no).

So I opened up my computer to see if I could still browse drive.. and it vanished from the list right in front of me.

I said Ok not good, opened CHKDSK and set to check on reboot. It scanned my other seagte 1tb, no errors (TOOK 3 BLOODY HOURS LoL) and then.... didnt scan the 2nd! The one i actually wanted scanned.

Booted up, still no drive.

Shut down, swapped SATA cables and SATA power cables from one hard drive to the other, and vice versa. Rebooted again.

Voila. Vista reinstalls hard-drive drivers, reboot, and disc is there. I can browse and run the files.

What do you think? Think its just some bad sectors or hd errors that I can fix using seagates diagnostics.. or you think it's something more physical that might really give me grief? I don't know how long this will keep running before crashign and killign off my data.

Oddly enough my brand new lite-on dl dvd drive is failing on every disc so i cant even back-up the 800 gigs of anime I have stored on the drive. (yeah thats right. LOL)

I don't know how long it'll last XD
I can't run the diagnostics untill tomorrow since my burner is failing and I have no floppys (Why the heck can't you boot from a thumb drive? are we really in 2010? bleck)

Sorry for the wall-of-text. A bit stressed. Took a long time to search and download that collection lol

Are there any diagnostics/repair tools that I can run from windows? The bad hard drive is just storage, theres nothing installed on it and it has nothing specifically to do with windows so I don't see why it couldn't be checked while running, since it isn't even being accessed.

Anyway thanks for any insight.

When that drive disappears in windows you should head to the BIOS and see if you can see it listed.

I'm willing to bet that this is a power supply issue.

really?

Pretty messed up for a good corsair psu to crap out :/

Not like it really matters cause it's under warrenty too lol.

Thanks for the idea I'll check it out.

With the clicking noises I would lean towards a failing hard drive. As for other possible reason since you switched cables it is possible either your sata or power cable were not firmly seated into the hard drive and the act of switching them gave you a solid connection.

You usualy wont hear newer drives click click like that unless they are failing. IMO, run spinrite on it if you can. Or try chkdsk on it while the computer still sees it...

IMO, run spinrite on it if you can. Or try chkdsk on it while the computer still sees it...

This would be the direction I would go. If nothing comes up, perhaps the sata cable wasn't seated correctly? Those buggers can be pretty tricky.

Why the heck can't you boot from a thumb drive?

Sure you can....

are we really in 2010?

As for this, I'm leaning toward a problem with your windows date and time properties?.... :p

XD yeah ignore that bit about 2010. it seems I don't even know what year it is hahaha. orz.

As for specifics I didn't mention, I've seen you can boot from a thumb drive, but none of seagates diagnostics tools would function off it :/ thus defeating the purpose of booting from it anyway.

I'll give spinrite a shot. Seagates tool said the drive passed.

I dunno, maybe the cable did just come loose on me. I wouldn't have been so worried if it wasn't for the clicking noises.

I have seen some rather flaky sata connections because most cables wont clip onto the slot... I don't know how many times on of mine was slightly off and was messing the controller up...

could be the case for me as well it seems. The drive hasn't given me any grief since. Ran windows CHKDSK and Seagates seatools and both reported no errors. tried loading up spindisc on my thumb drive since the software allows it, but it seems my bios doesn't like the idea of booting from thumb drive. Never gets past the POST. I'll have to wait till I can grab a cd tomorrow :/

Now if i can figure out what the hecks up with my dvd frive i'll be all set lol. Besides failing every single dvd thats past 50% burn (if burnign more than 2 or 3 gigs), it's now opening autorun for the seagate seatools disc every time windows starts.
Problem with that is... there's no disc in the drive.. LOL It makes no sense at all.

Guess it might be time to reformat again, but I don't see why. I havent really installed much since last format >_>.

I was hoping to wait till windows 7's official release before formatting ; ;

What's the firmware? if it's the SD15 firmware, it will more than likely fail. it did on BOTH of mine.you can try (once you move all your data) to update the firmware (from Seagate's website) and see what ahppens, but if not, then I would RMA it and get a new one from Seagate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom