Logitech z-640 frayed wires..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demalii

Fully Optimized
Hey guys, I have old school logitech z-640 5.1 speakers and the wires are frayed and I spoke with a guy from logitech and he was saying just buy speaker wire the same as headphones..

there's a center box with the controls where the wires are frayed. 3 lines come out to connect to sound card. Those lines are what needs to be replaced. Each line consists of 2 protected wires plus a "ground line?" which is a shielding wire wrapped around the other two..

rondo2x2.5.jpg

Now image a shielding wire covering the two wires (a ground line???)

What line am I looking for? or will a wire like in this picture work correctly?

If you can see this picture well enough, I twisted up this "shielding wire"..

wiresou0.gif

You didn't ruin my z640s did you? :p

The shielding seen on the outside is the primary ground while the red and black or yellow are the left and right leads for front or rear depending on which cord. The plugs at the end are colored coded there seeing
green = front
amber = rear
black = center mix

alright so I'll head to altex and buy a 2ply wire with ground hope I can find something that doesn't look tacky. Yea I cut the wires right near the circuit board hoping that the problem wasn't in the 1st inch or so of wire coming from the board. So I'll just rewire the 3 wires, wrap it up and go from there.. I tried reusing different sections of the frayed lines to see if it could be fixed, but I do indeed need new lines, the fray is bad =p

I love my z-640's and haven't gotten to use them in the past 6 months because of the wires and I decided to give another go at fixing them, z-640 the best 5.1 I've ever had =)

thanks mate!

I've been running a set here for the last 3-4yrs. with great results in a rather limited area. The newer sets either stood too high or too wide with the work space here unfortunately.

I won't ask how they got fried but will advise verifying each wire to make sure nothing gets crossed in the mix. Electrical tape can be messy as well for trying to wrap tied ends up and isolate them. Crimp some non conductive shrink tubing over the spliced ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom