Lockup issues - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Lockup issues

Alright, I've about had it with my system. I've replaced everything short of the motherboard and processor, and I'm still getting CTDs during games and random lockups while using my applications, including firefox.

I'm running an MSI 865PE Neo2-FISR motherboard, Intel Celeron 3.06GHz 533FSB, DDR400 Corsair XMS (current timing by SPD 3-7-7-8). MSI says that on a 533FSB that the board doesn't support DDR 400. Could this be causing my lockups and CTDs? I'd like to know before I go spend the cash on a new board, processor and video card. If I can solve the issue by upgrading to an 800MHz FSB processor, I'm going to just do it. If not, I have an nVidia GeForce 7800 GS OC AGP video card and an Intel Celeron 3.06GHz processor for sale. LOL

EDIT: My head is swimming in computer code right now, so I can't remember if it would cause an issue like that. I know SDRAM will slow down, but I'm not positive about DDR.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: Lockup issues

Too newbish? No one has any ideas? I don't know much about this motherboard. No, I'm not being a jerk, just asking.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

I take it you HAVE replaced your psw?
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 04-09-2007, 05:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
I take it you HAVE replaced your psw?
Yes, I have. And I just ordered a new one, since this one is an off brand from the local shop.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

could be the cpu because a celeron isnt very good more high end stuff
6600GT
CPU-Z Validator
Old 04-09-2007, 08:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

nah, wouldnt be that. celeron isnt as bad as its put out to be nehuz. I would say it would be your DDR400. If the motherboard says it doesnt support it, chances are it probably wont work, or if it does, work with glitches.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 04-09-2007, 10:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
nah, wouldnt be that. celeron isnt as bad as its put out to be nehuz. I would say it would be your DDR400. If the motherboard says it doesnt support it, chances are it probably wont work, or if it does, work with glitches.
Apparently, it only supports DDR 400 with a processor with an 800 FSB. But just for the heck of it, I tried moving the RAM from one set of slots to another, and it's not crashing nearly as often. Go figure. I'm still getting a better proc though.

Closed Thread