LinX crash - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to RichM499 Send a message via Yahoo to RichM499
Default LinX crash

I am having an issue running Linpack LinX.
I am using an ASRock n68-s UCC motherboard and a Phenom II x6 1055t processor with a Radeon 4870.

This motherboard is severely limiting my overclock ability because it just can't supply the power needed at higher voltages/frequencies, so everything is at stock for now. All of my games run fine at stock but I like to benchmark and this just isn't acceptable.

The problem is that when I run LinX everything seems fine until it hits exactly 60s. When the timer hits 60s the computer clicks off and restarts. I thought this was power related at first, but even underclocking the processor has no effect. The same situation at below stock volts/frequencies.

Any ideas on why this would be happening?

Old 08-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: LinX crash

Run HWMonitor while running LinX. Take a screenshot just before the timer hit's 60 and stop the test before it restarts the system. Post the screenshot.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I tried getting an image closer to 58s ish, but 1st run crashed at 55s, and 2nd run crashed at 52s. I was afraid it was going to continue in this trend so I just stopped it at 40s.

I don't see anything alarming in HWmonitor. My temps look fine, and so do my voltages.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

What PSU do you have? make/wattage?
Old 08-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I'd have to agree and suspect a power issue.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

500w Thermaltake: Newegg.com - Thermaltake TR2 W0379RU 500W ATX 12V v2.2 Power Supply

Apparently the Radeon 4870 has a 225w TDP, and the Phenom II x6 1055t has a 125w TDP.

That's 350w.

Also, I have the same issue at below stock volts/frequency. This leads me to believe it is not a power issue.
Perhaps an issue with the motherboard not able to supply power, but not the power supply.

Maybe I'm wrong.

EDIT: My original suspicion was that it was a power supply issue. The TDP of the items installed that are sucking power don't exceed 500w, or even 450w, but just to err on the side of caution I am buying a new 750w PSU this Friday instead of a motherboard. I think that my overclock may have been limited by the Power supply more than the motherboard, although this board is clearly not ready to power this Phenom II x6.
Perhaps I can disable 2 of the cores on this chip and get a LinX run out of it. I'll go try that.

EDIT #2:

So it's stable at stock settings with the last 2 cores disabled. Is this the motherboard or the Power supply?
If I had to guess I'd say it's the power supply. This motherboard may not be much of an overclocker, but the **** thing is advertised as supporting Phenom II x6 and it wasn't stable in LinX.
This leads me to believe that, assuming my motherboard manufacturer isn't completely full of ****, my PSU can't handle the load.

Just FYI I overclocked it to 3.5ghz 1.425vcore @ 4 cores and the system shut itself off at 37s.

Any thoughts? I'm buying a Corsair TX750 this friday instead of a new motherboard. That way I can get a nice Asus Crosshair IV Formula board in 2 weeks, and at least have a stable 6-core setup until then.
That's my theory at least....... I hope I'm right..

EDIT #3: Just thinking to myself. If the motherboard was unable to power this chip with "clean" enough power for stable operation, wouldn't it just have instability issues? The whole "*Click* off" shutdown thing makes me believe this is a PSU failsafe mechanism for over power and it attests to the quality of the power supply, even if it's a little weak...

...Once again I hope I'm right..

EDIT #4: I have decided my remedy for this situation.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-292-_-Product

I have 4gigs of Crucial Ballistix DDR2 that I just bought and don't want to waste.
This board looks to be a decent overclocker, it accommodates the Phenom II x6 1055t, and it will save me money. Instead of buying the Crosshair IV Formula board + memory, I can just buy this one and keep my ram as well as save nearly $200.

I'm buying a Corsair tx750 this friday, and the Asus Crosshair II Formula board 2 weeks later.
**** I might even buy an 8800gt for hybrid PhysX at the same time. :P
Old 08-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via MSN to iPROTechman

I also think It'd be the power supply Tbh, I've got the same board as you and I'm getting the same processor, but 95w version, I wobnt be overclocking so yeah. Hope its stable.

I've also got the 450w version of your power supply haha!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

If there's a problem with the power supply it could be happening whenever a load is placed on the system, larger or small. But it could be a problem with the Voltage Regulating Circuitry on the motherboard, but normally it will either work or it won't. I'm still betting on the Power Supply, but I could be wrong.