Lines appear on right edge of screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesse_ccwis

Beta member
I posted this issue with tek-tips as well but haven't had any luck with any replies back, so here it goes.

I am having this very strange issue with my custom built pc all of a sudden. The computer when booting up checks out good, everything looks fine, but once the login screen appears, there is something strange taking up about 10% of the right side of the lcd screen. The whole right side of the screen has horizontal lines going all the way from bottom to the top of the lcd screen. But it is like I said, about 10% of the monitor all on the right hand side. Then what gets strange is when you move the cursor over to right hand side, the horizontal lines in the section where the cursor is at move all the way over to the left side of the screen... (which now seems like some software issue!?). Now, all of this just happened last night after I restarted the computer because it locked up frozen on the aquarium screen saver from XP MCE. The only hardware I have added recently was at christmas time, the bluetooth logitech mouse and keyboard.

So, here is what I have tried:
I defaulted the nvidia video card overclocking (coolbits) and I reset the cmos settings to all default to get rid of any overclock settings. Booted up windows, same problem..
I took out the pci-e video card and booted up with the onboard video. Rebooted up to windows, same issue..
I even tried using each of the memory sticks by them selves to check for memory issues. Same problem.

The next steps I am wanting to take:
Try booted up to live linux cd/boot off of a different windows installation.
Try different monitor.
Try different power supply.
Try different motherboard.

This is a problem I haven't come across and of course it has to happen to me!! Also, just to let you know, the computer has been running solid for at least 6 months. So, I am hoping someone out there has came across this issue before or might have any other suggestions on what I should do to fix this problem.

Thanks everyone for the help!!

Computer Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 939 pin w/ ASUS Star Ice cooler
2 GB Kingston HyperX PC3200
Western Digital 320 GB SATA2 Hard Drive
MSI All-In-One Motherboard Nvidia 6100 MCP chipset 939 pin
EVGA GeForce 7600 GT Superclocked
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic Audio
Antec 480 Watt True Power power supply
Microsoft Windows XP MCE 2005
Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5000 Laser
ASUS F-20 Ferrari 20" widescreen LCD
(*MB not exactly my choice, got it with a combo package for a good deal at a Tech Chicago conference)

I have a similar problem where maybe once every couple of months for about 30min a green line about 1mm wide appears 1/6 from the right of the screen. It goes from the top to bottom of the screen and to get rid of it, for some reason restarting and turning the monitor off doesn't work (it actually made the line worse), then i found out it slowly disappears when i played a high req game. Its very annoying, i have a 2 year old LG lcd monitor. I worked out its definitely a monitor problem and your problem sounds similar but the line is wider, apart from the line the computer my runs perfectly fine, i had no mouse problems.

All i'm saying is don't do the obvious things restarting and mucking around with the monitor, i know its weird just do what you normally to on your computer and it goes away. I'm afraid to say its a permanent problem if its related to the screen (which it probably is), i can live with mine because it rarely happens, but if it happens all the time i can understand if you kill yourself.

if u overclocked ur video card try downclocking it, but i really thinks its the monitor if not then the video card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom