Life sucks, then your hard drive dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am less inclined to believe it is the IDE controller, and more inclined to think it is the memory. BSODs, especially if the error you're getting is something like "IRQ_NOT_EQUAL_OR_LESS" or "PAGE_FILE_ERROR", are most likely causes of memory

You say you only ran memtest for a couple of loops. That unfortunetely isn't nearly enough. You gotta let it loop for at least a couple of hours, overnight would probably be best IMO, to determine whether or not memory is the issue. Furthermore, memtest isn't entirely foolproof and memory can be extremely picky. For example, I can run my memory through hours and hours of memtest with absolutely no problems, yet I'll boot into windows and get prime95 errors within a few minutes.

Easiest solution would be to find some spare memory and pop it in and see if that fixes the problem. If the issue continues, then I'd be willing to believe the IDE controller is to blame

I'll let memtest run all night, but the errors we get are nothing like the ones you posted.

it would be nice if the memory where bad, that would save a lot of time and money upgrading the mobo and the processor.

hey guys, i thought you would like to know that we got a new mobo for this system, its this one:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2_Delta2-LSR&class=mb

it was the only socket A mobo in town. (we couldn't wait to have one shipped cuz Rafe's mom needs her computer back.)

but we have a problem, I just installed windows and the mobo drivers... but when it was rebooting i noticed that the RAM was running at the wrong speed... so I went into bios to change it... but 333MHz is not an available option... it has:

100MHz
133MHz
166MHz
200MHz
and
202MHz

but its supposed to have 333MHz... and even 400MHz... what do I do?

It's probably because your RAM's speed only runs at 200 mhz, check your RAM, see what the standard is.

EDIT* - (Flashdude) That's what I meant, I just wasn't very clear.

So if I set it to 166, then it will really be going at 333? thats nice to know.

Then why doesn't it say 333? it just says 166... every other computer i've ever worked on says 333. . .

PART 2
Here is another problem... What would cause the computer to not restart properly?
During windows setup, everything was fine... Now, when you try to restart it, it powers down... kinda..... but then gets hung up, and you have to hold the power button down for 5 seconds till it dies.
Is that a driver error?
Would it be caused by an incorrect placing of the case-to-mobo cords? (ie. power LED, reset switch, speakers, etc....)

Holly crap does anything ever work for you!!! lol J/K That is more than likely caused by a program not closing properly Did you install any printer/scanner/camera software? If so uninstall it and re install it. I have also run across this on some boards with an older bios update, Try system restore. Then you will see what you installed after the restore point that caused this.

Seria said:
So if I set it to 166, then it will really be going at 333? thats nice to know.

Then why doesn't it say 333? it just says 166... every other computer i've ever worked on says 333. . .

Some motherboards bios do the math for you some don't

FlashDude said:
Holly crap does anything ever work for you!!!
:p ~_^
FlashDude said:
Did you install any printer/scanner/camera software?
Only the mobo and vid drivers [/B][/QUOTE]
FlashDude said:
I have also run across this on some boards with an older bios update
This is a new mobo, its this one: http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2_Delta2-LSR&class=mb
FlashDude said:
Some motherboard bios do the math for you some don't
stupid, lazy mobo

I think im just going to re-install windows. (im REALLY paranoid about having problems like this when I build a computer. I would rather do a fresh install, then have the computer live its life with a few erroring drivers.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom