Lexmark USB printer issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
A friend has a Lexmark 2300 printer that connects with USB cable. This printer has worked in the past, but when she tried to install it after a reformat/install of XP Pro, it doesn't work. When you run the CD you are prompted to connect the cable, then it gets to "searching for printer" then the install just goes away. When you look in the printers and faxes screen, there is nothing. But it shows up as a scanner in My Computer. Device manager shows it there, but with an exclamation point. Print spooler service is running and when you try to use the add new printer wizard you get told not to do it using the wizard, but to use the install CD. I have also tried downloading directly from Lexmark and that didn't work either. Tried a brand new USB cable with no luck. My real question here is when you plug in the USB cable, normally you hear two dings. This one gives you three very fast dings. Other USB devices work just fine. And I have tried the printer on every USB port as well as other devices on every port. And of course the printer ONLY has a USB connection.

One thing to try is go into device manager and under View at the top , click show hidden devices and see if any part of the printer driver is in there. If you find anything for it then delete it out and try the install again.

Also does this printer work in any other computer?

Not sure if it works on any other computers. I will have her try that trick and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom