Lexar Firefly USB drive not recognised

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouldeeves

Baseband Member
I have a Lexar Jumpdrive Firefly 2GB that I bought in early 2009. It has worked well as a secondary backup for important files such as coursework and contacts however it has recently stopped working completely. I'm not concerned about the files at all, as they are backed up in two other locations, however I would quite like to be able to use it again.

When the drive is plugged into any PC (I have tested it on 3 systems), it shows up on 'My Computer' with a drive letter, the light on it flashes but I cannot access it at all. All of these PCs work fine with other USB devices so it has to be a problem with the memory stick.

When I try to open the disk is says "please insert a disk blah blah", the same when I try to save something onto it. I have tried to format it but I get the message "there is no disk in drive F". I have gone into properties and I'm not able to check for errors, I have tried to assign a new drive letter but it still wont work. It shows up on the hardware tab of the properties window as Lexar JD firefly but thats about as good as it gets.

Any help would be great as it has served me well up until this point and I would like to gte it back up and running :)

It looks like you've gone as far as you can in this situation. If you've tried on multiple machines and the behaviour is the same on all of them which is:
  • appears to power up as light comes on
  • unable to access or save files and get message that drive is empty
  • unable to erase or format as reports to insert disk
  • this jumpdrive has worked on these ports previously
  • other drives have no issues working on same port

Then I think its time to replace the drive as not much more can be done.

Note in these situations I'd normally recommend you plugging directly into the rear USB port on a desktop just to rule out whether its an issue of high/lo power ports, but I would suspect if you've tried on three machines, then this is very unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom