Leaving an internal HDD exposed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RConcheiro

Beta member
Hey guys, I have a quick question.

I think the answer is no, but I would like a 2nd opinion which is the reston for this post.

I am going to buy a 2TB internal HDD to plug into a USB Docking Station so I can connect it to my PS3 to play my backed up movies on the PS3. Just like this picture: ( http://www.newertech.com/products/images/voyagerswitch_q.jpg )

My question is, if I leave it like that, in a COOL place. Will that have any effect on the device? Thanks in advance for your help!

Or would you recommend that I just purchase a 2 TB External HD? Thanks again!

As far as all that goes, it would be best advised to go with an external HDD for this use, if being left in the open. Dust buildup could become a problem with an internal being placed externally. That is my opinion.

I have and use a ThermalTake BlacX which is much like the one you posted, save mine has a plastic shield that hides the drive from view. There is no problem using this kind of dock as long as you sit it in a stable place away from elbows and anything that would hit it.

All the moving parts of a hard drive are internal so nothing will be hurt on the drive itself from dust, but I think Chimb means dust in/on the connector of the dock. A quick shot of compressed air would clean that, but you won't get any dust if you keep a drive docked in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom