LCD or video card errors after lightning strike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niels

Beta member
Hello,

my cable guy didn't properly ground the cable to the house on installation and lightning struck somewhere in the neighborhood, frying a bunch of modems. In my case, I also lost a wireless router and some screen quality on a couple of machines. One screen is connected to two towers via a KVM switch and only one machine shows a smearing sort of error, and I suspect it's the video card. But that's not why I'm writing.

I'm writing because the other affected screen is a laptop (Dell 9300 dual booting SuSE 10.1 and WinXP). I tried reloading the SuSE operating system and the problem is present booting from SuSE and WinXP.

Here are some camera images of the laptop while Firefox is filling the screen and looking at blackle.com. You can click through to larger versions which are on Flickr.

First, the whole screen:

This a detail of the right margin. The effect goes all the way to the edge, but you'll see it is less obvious when the pixels are brighter.

And finally, you can see, if you look carefully, just left of center, there's another affected strip, but you have to look much more closely. Click through to flickr if necessary. You'll see a tiny vertical pattern of brown pixels.

Here's the same screen with a lighter background. Note the middle defect is more obvious and the edge defect is completely gone.

Here's a detail of the middle defect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom