LCD doesnt display anything. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default LCD doesnt display anything.

Well I thought I would make a new thread since my old problem doesnt exist anymore, now my monitor just wont display anything on my pc.

I thought it might of been my GPU, so I pulled an older one out of the closet which I know does work and plugged it in. My computer boots up, all the fans run and I do get to the desktop. I put a game in the drive I can hear it start up, music playing etc.

Problem is I dont see anything on my monitor, I tried hooking up my monitor to a different computer in the house and it works fine, just not on my own computer.

So, I have no clue why this would be happening.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: LCD doesnt display anything.

Bumping back to the first page.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

i was having odd problems with my monitor once....turned out to be the cable. when you switched monitors, you could have jogged whatever was loose back in place.
it drove me crazy for a long time before i figured it out, because it was random and totally had me convinced that my card or PCIe slot was faulty, lol.
try replacing it and see what happens.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Is it DVI or VGA? Do you see anything when you first turn on the PC (BIOS logo, text console, etc?)? Try a different monitor on your PC, and if your motherboard has an integrated VGA or DVI output, take out your graphics card and try plugging a monitor into that.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Well now I have a new problem once again. My computer doesnt always boot up. About half the time I try to power up my PC and it doesnt get to the desktop ( though the fans do run). While the other half of the time it boots up and gets to the desktop ( I can hear it) but I am still not able to see anything on my monitor. And one time my computer actually booted up normally, monitor too, but it ended up freezing in about a half hour.

I dont think it is the cable, since the monitor runs fine on a different computer using the same cable.

My monitor is DVI and I dont see anything on start up except for "Analog: Power Saving Mode" and then it goes to hibernate and doesnt wake up. And My mobo doesnt have that output. Ive tried another monitor and still doesnt want to work.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Wow, that's very weird. I'm starting to think motherboard on this one. Since your vid cards work in other computers, as well as your monitor, plus the random boot ups, etc....

I suppose this could possibly be a psu issue as well but I doubt that.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

sounds like the mobo's on its way out. try and use all the parts in your computer on a different computer you have (if you can) That way you can narrow down possibilities of what's creating the issue. I would be willing to bet its the board though..
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Alright, thank you for the responces. I have an old mobo that was my brothers laying around the house, Im pretty sure Ill be able to just hook it all up. Is there any type of software or anything that I need when I install the new mobo, or is it plug and play like I thought?
Old 05-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

you should be able to plug the card, ram and cpu in and get some sort of display.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

Alright, it must of been the mobo that was defective like you thought. I tried my brothers and it started the computer started, first thing we saw was "found new CPU, do you want to enter setup or run default settings."

Then it went to a black screen, waiting for commands. I didnt know what to put, so I restarted and now I cant pick "run setup" again. I didnt take the cpu off the mobo, so its an amd 3200+

So now when I boot up it just runs through the startup screen, it ends up at the black command screen and doesnt do anything.

Any help on what to do next would be appreciated.

Closed Thread