Laptop woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mentis

Beta member
Hey, I just got a new gaming laptop, and I'm trying to decide what the issue with it is. I got the toshiba p105-s9337, which is basically the s9722 with windows vista. Anyway, on a few review sites, I see people reporting 3dmark05 speeds of 6-7k for the s9722, while mine is s9337 and barely got a 5000. Now, I know vista decreases performance because it's a performance hog, it's supposed to be a 10% decrease tops right? So I should have at least 6k or so. I mean, my friend has a the dell e1705 with the same specs as my comp, down to the vid card, except for the fact that I have a slower HD and he got a 6.4k. I tried playing some of my old pc games on full, like hl2, and it's really strange. Sometimes the performance is perfect for extended periods of times, but then I start getting hiccups of video lag. Like, every 5 seconds or so my fps goes from 50 to 10. I don't really get that, because the environment didn't change much between the areas with and without blips. So I was just wondering if it was really vista reducing the performance that much, or if maybe there was one setting that's doing it.

The stats of the comp are intel core 2 duo 7200, 2 gb ram, nvidia gforce go 7900 256 mb

where is it sitting? in your lap or on a table? Cooling is a big issue with laptops. and also make sure all background programs are closed, and see if thats the problem.

Yeah, I made sure to close all programs and ran it on the tabletop. Just now, I actually tried installing some Beta nvidia drivers for vista, but when I start the installation, the install says "detected operating system is not vista, and this driver is created for vista". Um...lol?

edit: Well the driver wasn't installing because they don't have drivers for laptops yet so...guess that's not a potential fix.

Is your Virus scanner still running when this is going on. And Do you have Norton or McAffee. That will kill anything.

Funny you should say that. I had mccaffe when I first got the computer but the bloody thing was wreaking havoc in my computer. The internet was virtually unusable. I got avast.

That does nothing for the gaming problems though. Actually I saw another person in other forums with the same problem and he has the same laptop, so maybe that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom