Laptop runs slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrjohnson

Baseband Member
Hey I just got this old laptop, it's a Hitachi Visionbook Pro 7775. It has 64mb of ram (upgraded from the original 32mb). The original OS was Windows 95 but when I got it, it came with nothing. I've tried booting every different OS on there from 95, 98, 2000, and even XP and the computer still runs slow as hell. Everything is very choppy and even notepad or the start menu takes about 30 seconds to come up. The mouse doesn't even run smoothly either. I realize yes, the thing is very old. But it should still run smoothly if nothing is on there, it's not like im installing new programs or trying to do anything top of the line with it. I'm just trying to run notepad, view a few pictures, and use Internet Explorer. Any way I can speed this thing up a little bit? If needed to know it does have a 300mghz Pentium II processor and a 3.5gb hard drive with CDROM. Help would be greatly appreciated. I gotta hand it to you guys, this forum kicks ass and all of my questions have been answered so far.

64MB of RAM should run Windows 95/98 pretty smoothly, especially if you're only using notepad. But Windows 2000 or XP, forget it.

Check your task mananger when you boot up and see what programs are using up your memory. Maybe theres a backround program running that you don't know.

Yeah but I've tried all four operating systems (95,98,2000,&XP) and all of them run equally slow and laggy. Now each time I do it I reformat the hard drive using NTFS file system instead of Fat32. Never tried Linux but don't really want to just cuz I've never used it before and wouldn't know which version to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom