Laptop reboots on the slightest touch - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Laptop reboots on the slightest touch

Bought a Dell XPS M1530 in late 2008. This past Christmas it started acting very strange, at first only successfully booting on the second 'power on', then every fifth, tenth, 20th, etc.. Long story short I got up the nerve to take apart a laptop and replaced the motherboard with a new one from ebay (warranty was long expired).

The current problem:

After many hours of carefully putting it back together, i hit the power button and it booted up fine!!! I was so proud until i touched the keyboard and BAM, black screen and all of a sudden it's going through the boot process. It turns out that every time I bump the thing, even with only enough force to squash an ant, this crash happens.

Here's the strange thing - it only happens when I have a stick of ram in the second DIMM slot. The ram itself seems fine. The computer boots up a-ok with either stick in the first dimm, and I can basically beat the snot out of the computer and it merrily continues computing. As soon as I boot with the ram in the second dimm, I can recreate the problem every time.

Clearly this is a hardware problem, but what would cause the thing to reboot ONLY when ram is slotted into a certain dimm? I've checked closely and when it's installed, it's in there all the way and it's not moving when it gets jolted. I've tried it running with just the battery, plugged into the AC adapter, with both sticks of ram in every combination - I'M STUMPED. 20 years of tinkering with hardware and I'm still running into problems that have me scratching my head...

Please help!

Old 06-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker
Default Re: Laptop reboots on the slightest touch

It's possible that there's a short somewhere with the 2nd DIMM slot and it's causing it to reboot when moved.

Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 06-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Laptop reboots on the slightest touch

Bad Dimm slot. Your motherboard has problems connecting with it, therefore freezing it. Just get a higher capacity single dimm stick that it can support. Put duct tape on that second slot.
__________________ Steam Account
Closed Thread