Laptop RAM question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauroy8

Beta member
I have a toshiba laptop that came with 1gb (2 x 512mb) of 667mhz ddr2 ram. I have a stick of 1gb 533mhz ddr2 ram. I want to know if I can remove one of the 512s that came with it and replace it with the 1gb stick that I have even though it is a slower speed?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Roy

Hello,

Provided that the SODIMM slots on your motherboard support 1 GB capacity RAM modules, and that it supports more than 1 GB of RAM in total, then yes it will work. You'd then have 1.5 GB of RAM.

...However, all your RAM modules will be underclocked to, and will operate at 533Mhz, not 667Mhz - Since the 1 GB module can only operate at 533Mhz or lower.

That was my assumption but I thought I would run it by someone else before I did it. Thanks very much for your help. I will run a couple of benchmarks and see if I lose much with the slower ram. My laptop has a Dual Core processor so it could be significant. If it is I guess I will just buy a 1gb stick of the 667mhz ram. I certainly feel better about putting it in after reading your post. Thanks again.

Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom