laptop problem - overheat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nudgedoink

Beta member
hi guys

my laptop has a mojor problem but i do not know what the cause of it is and what it affects. the laptop is now currently at my father's office where a computer person is there but he is on leave for 4 days. i am very worried now and hope to find out more. some of the things that have happened are:

1. before anything very serious happened, the laptop became unusually laggy

2. it lagged so bad after, that i got stuck at the windows xp loading screen

3. now when i try to switch it on and press the power button, the screen remains blank and the lights come on and go off, come on and go off by itself (seems like it is shutting on and off)

is there any chance that this can be a motherboard problem? i don't know much about computers but i am aware that my laptop is "dead" if my motherboard is spoilt. Or is it the battery?

HELP PLEASE!!!! :(

Laptops can be tough to diagnose without having it in front of me. I'd say either power supply or motherboard, tough to say if it's all heat related since it should at least boot up for a little while if it was just heat.

If you ever get it to boot up, check and see if all your memory is still there. Know your total memory, if there is a discrepancy, then you need to open it up and diagnose your memory. A slot could be bad on the board aswell. If so, youll need a new board.

If memory is OK, you should go to the CPU next.

Also, after you check memory values, try re-installing your OS. It might just be a software issue..

Leave it alone for at least an hour, then see if it behaves normally at first. If so, it's an overheat. If it still doesn't work, I'd be immediately suspicious of the memory; try swapping it out if you have more than one module.

Like (somebody) said, laptops are hard to diagnose.

Dan

thanks all. i hope the IT expert in my dads office will be able to do all of the suggestions you guys gave me mentioned above. Sorry if i give a slow reply. remember? i dont have a computer at home so i have to wait till i am in office. zzzz

just a query: do u guys think that most probably with the symptoms mentioned above my laptop can be saved? thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom