Laptop Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

techyp830

Beta member
It beeps a few time when it is loading up and on bootup it reports this error:

Smart failure predicted on hard disk 0, it is also telling me to back up asap as a failure is iminent.

Do I need to replace the hard drive? What could be the problem?

I took this laptop from my brother. I'm currently in school for this but still learning. He brought it to GeekSquad @ BestBuy and they told him it would be $600 to fix and he should just buy a new one. He eventually did buy a new one and just threw this one in the closet. I booted it up and that is the only error it displays and Windows does load up. Does GeekSquad see something that I don't ?

It looks like that laptop took a standard ATA / IDE notebook 2.5" laptop hard drive. Gateway Support - Components list for 1008851

Yours might have come with a 60GB but you can buy a 20, 30, or whatever size you want to get it going. If you need lots of storage you can get a bigger one (just don't get one of the physically larger 12mm size drives - stick with 9mm). You can find plenty of these on eBay. Just pull your drive out before you buy one to verify the connection and size, etc.

If it was just the SMART error (meaning the HDD was dying) - you can replace it and get this going pretty cheap and easily. It will be fine for surfing the web and checking email, etc.

thanks for the reply. It has a 60GB, I see a 250GB going for 50 bucks on tigerdirect. That would be plenty, definitely need a memory upgrade as well. If I put in a new HDD and upgraded the memory from lets say 256MB to 2GB what do you think I could resell for?

Make sure you are looking at the PATA / ATA / IDE drives - Not SATA. They have an 80GB PATA on there for $49.99. You can pull it out just to double check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom