laptop overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

dafunk

Beta member
I have a Medion Pentium 4M laptop I believe itÂ’s made by Acer. Everything works fine most of the time such as surfing the web but if I do excessive stuff such as burning a CD or editing videos the laptop becomes extremely hot and will eventually beep and shut down. The fan seems to be running fine, I can feel warm air coming out, and I also blew the dust out of the fan area.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Laptops are widely known for being crotch-griddles. Usually the problem is caused by blocking the bottom (and/or side) vents, which obviously causes heat to build up in the system. Laptops naturally get hotter than desktops, mainly due to a lot of tightly-packed hardware.

Two things you can do:

1. Always make sure you use your laptop on a nice flat surface that allows easy airflow to the fans (such as a tabletop or desktop).

2. You can buy a laptop cooling pad, which is like a thin metal/plastic "board" with some fans in it that fits under the laptop and helps cool things down.

Also, you should note that laptops will get much hotter when plugged-in than when not.

After a few hours, my laptop's bottom surface can get hot enough to cook an egg (and ensure I don't have to worry about children for a month). My GF tries to use it to thaw packages of frozen vegetables...

Get a cooling pad like Shoobie suggested. You can get a nice one with a couple of fans for under $30, that should help a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom