laptop overheating - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default laptop overheating

I have a Medion Pentium 4M laptop I believe it’s made by Acer. Everything works fine most of the time such as surfing the web but if I do excessive stuff such as burning a CD or editing videos the laptop becomes extremely hot and will eventually beep and shut down. The fan seems to be running fine, I can feel warm air coming out, and I also blew the dust out of the fan area.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 08-19-2005, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

i don't know much about laptops other than general repairs. all i can say about overheating is make sure that it is well ventilated. meaning it has to be on a solid flat surface because they overheat quickly on a soft surface because the vents get covered.

Old 08-19-2005, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Laptops are widely known for being crotch-griddles. Usually the problem is caused by blocking the bottom (and/or side) vents, which obviously causes heat to build up in the system. Laptops naturally get hotter than desktops, mainly due to a lot of tightly-packed hardware.

Two things you can do:

1. Always make sure you use your laptop on a nice flat surface that allows easy airflow to the fans (such as a tabletop or desktop).

2. You can buy a laptop cooling pad, which is like a thin metal/plastic "board" with some fans in it that fits under the laptop and helps cool things down.

Also, you should note that laptops will get much hotter when plugged-in than when not.

After a few hours, my laptop's bottom surface can get hot enough to cook an egg (and ensure I don't have to worry about children for a month). My GF tries to use it to thaw packages of frozen vegetables...

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 08-19-2005, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

yeah what you have to take into account is lap tops are optimised for the period of time the battery will last. i mean obviously they will get hot but its not such a big problem when batteries are only expected to last a few hours
Old 08-19-2005, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Get a cooling pad like Shoobie suggested. You can get a nice one with a couple of fans for under $30, that should help a lot.