Laptop - no charging light even when socket & charger works

zaka100

W͂Oͨ̍̍̒̈́͛̕
So I got a toshiba satellite l300d and it does not charge/turn on. I bought a new socket and charger that work. The board looks fine with no corrosion. Is there anything that could be stopping the laptop from working and could it be fixed? :annoyed:

Does the laptop have a separate power board? Is that what you mean by "new socket" ? Or did you replace just the jack (desolder / resolder new jack) ?

May need to crack it back open and use a digital multimeter to see what voltage is coming through it.

Does the laptop have a separate power board? Is that what you mean by "new socket" ? Or did you replace just the jack (desolder / resolder new jack) ?

May need to crack it back open and use a digital multimeter to see what voltage is coming through it.

No it does not have a separate power board, by socket i meant jack - its one of those plug-in ones so u dont have to solder.

Oh man I have to buy a multimeter. :AwMan:

No it does not have a separate power board, by socket i meant jack - its one of those plug-in ones so u dont have to solder.

Oh man I have to buy a multimeter. :AwMan:

When you say "it's just one of those plug in ones" - that makes it sound like a separate "board". Can you please post the component you replaced so I have a better idea what it is?

Usually when the LEDs don't light up after swapping stuff like that, its just simply a mobo issue. The way I look at some things, if I could work my job and make enough money to buy a new motherboard instead of wasting time troubleshooting a lost cause, its better to just buy a new board. Then again, I'm pretty sure that is an older laptop, you can probably buy a working, used laptop for around the same price as a motherboard these days it seems.

Well if it's not the charger and not the socket, that pretty much only leaves something busted on the main board as the issue, so yeah you're likely gonna need a multimeter.

I guess I need a new motherboard then :(

Or go buy a cheap multimeter for $10-20 and test your power brick as well as the connections on the jack (where it connects into the motherboard) to make sure the proper voltage is going through ;). Plus, you'll have future use out of the multimeter I'm sure - so consider it an investment.

But if i do have a multimeter and detect an incorrect voltage, what should i do then to fix it?

Back
Top Bottom