Laptop losing connection

cyrrus218

Beta member
Hello all,
I am trying to fix a problem that my friend is having: his wireless connection constantly dropping. The problem occurs when someone else connects to the wireless that is living in his house, but the catch is that it only seems to happen when an apple product is connecting. If he and I are connected at the same time there are no issues. We both have PC's, while his brother has a MAC and iPhone. The troubleshooting that I have attempted so far, which has resulted ultimately in failure: Disabling the DCHP server on the router settings; switching the router channel; changing his IP to a static IP; reserving him a specific IP on the router settings; updating his network card driver; and troubleshooting via the windows troubleshooting option. I cannot think of any further steps to take, as I do not have the extensive networking knowledge that many of you may have, which is why I am reaching out here. I am open to any thoughtful suggestion into this problem. I have also hypothesized that his network card may just be a complete piece of ****e and loses connection due to the signal strength of his card being interrupted by other devices.

** Side note ** His network bars on the toolbar will interchange between searching and cannot connect when he drops his connection.

The router that he has is a Netgear N300 WNR2000 v3

Last edited:
Hello all,
I am trying to fix a problem that my friend is having: his wireless connection constantly dropping. The problem occurs when someone else connects to the wireless that is living in his house, but the catch is that it only seems to happen when an apple product is connecting. If he and I are connected at the same time there are no issues. We both have PC's, while his brother has a MAC and iPhone. The troubleshooting that I have attempted so far, which has resulted ultimately in failure: Disabling the DCHP server on the router settings; switching the router channel; changing his IP to a static IP; reserving him a specific IP on the router settings; updating his network card driver; and troubleshooting via the windows troubleshooting option.
The router that he has is a Netgear N300 WNR2000 v3

For starters go grab his mac address from the wireless nic card.
https://it.byu.edu/byu/help.do?&sysparm_document_key=kb_knowledge,4249a1d10a0a3c5401b98084b2794c36

Start off with him connecting to the interwebs, don't turn on anything else not even the iphone.
Follow the instructions for the windows cmd prompt "ipconfig/all".
Note which one is his wireless connection and it should display it.
Take that mac address and add it to the wireless router.

For the dropping connection problem I suggest you find a way for the iphone/apple devices to choose a different channel.
This should help get you going in the right direction soon.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2585382

@OP: Have you tried checking for a firmware update to the router?

@Mike: adding the MAC address to the router is only going to help if OP's friend has MAC filtering setup on the router.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hi. I know you've mentioned that you tried changing the wireless channel, but if not already, try switching to channels 1, then 6, then 11 successively and connecting an Apple Mac or iPhone after each change and test.

Check and upgrade the firmware on the wireless router if a newer version is available on the Netgear website.

See if there is the option 'Enable Wireless Isolation' in the Netgear wireless router settings and disable it, then test again.

Also, if possible in the wireless router settings, try switching from 802.11n to 802.11g or even 802.11b to lower the speed and test again.

I'm finding on the Google-sphere that quite a few other people have also had problems connecting their Apple devices to their Netgear wireless routers.

Last edited:
@Mike: adding the MAC address to the router is only going to help if OP's friend has MAC filtering setup on the router.

Thanks carnage but I think he will be fine if he adds in the mac address to the router and follow up on alvins suggestion.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I will try these today and post the updated info afterwards.
** Side note ** The apple products are not having any issue connecting to the router, but when one does connect that is when my friend loses his connection from his PC. Also, he will not be able to connect again until they get offline by either turning their device off or from him resetting the router constantly.

Thanks carnage but I think he will be fine if he adds in the mac address to the router and follow up on alvins suggestion.

The point is, unless MAC filtering is turned on, "adding the MAC address to the router wont do anything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Update to the situation:
Just tried the suggested options, but no dice. The firmware says it is up to date.

Update to the situation:
Just tried the suggested options, but no dice. The firmware says it is up to date.

@carnagae: your still not making any sense please stop.
If I wouldn't have thought by adding his iphones mac address to his friends router wouldn't work
I would have never bothered to say anything.

Cyrrus the only fix for your problem at the moment is keep the iphones wireless nic off when you visit his house.
Also you really didn't specify what wireless network card or adapter he may have.
Find that out and bring the model number, find out how long he has had it also.
Also find out If he has had any other past problems with it.

Update to the situation:
Have you tried hardwiring your friend's PC's into the router and test if it still loses connection when an Apple device connects?

@carnagae: your still not making any sense please stop.
If I wouldn't have thought by adding his iphones mac address to his friends router wouldn't work
I would have never bothered to say anything.

It makes perfect sense actually... Just "adding" the MAC won't do anything; you need to enable MAC Address filtering FIRST before you can add a MAC address to anything.

Back
Top Bottom