laptop, imminent failure, what could be happening? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2006, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to vipercrazed Send a message via Yahoo to vipercrazed
Default laptop, imminent failure, what could be happening?

ok so im sure its the hdd but im not you guys, and i was wondering if i thats the problem 100% or 99%, so i can just buy a new hdd

it says SMART detect immenent failure on Toshiba(then it lists a serial#) though im sure its the hdd

oh and the hdd makes a noise like its sharpening its axe, LOL

though this is my moms laptop and she wants to just go to bestbuy and buy the $380 celeron, i dotn want her to do that.

i just added an extra 512 to her laptop which was alot of moeny cause they dotn make the mem anymore(its like 2002 old)

but i let her try to reinstall xp and some how she got it working, she says the internet wont connect, even on a land line. though it works at 800x600 resolution.
o and for some reason she partitioned the 40 gb hdd in there now and it only reads as 10gb in my computer(might be because of the wierd noise comming from it)

could this be any extra issue besides the harddrive?

and if i get a new one(hdd) i would want a good 7200rpm laptop hdd do they last as long as the slower ones? or could i just go external? i wouldnt mind really

its a compaq presario 2100
model 2175US
bfg tech 7900GT@475 still ll 3200+ venice@2.72, 1.55v ll OCZ 1GB ll WD 320 GB hdd
Closed Thread