Laptop fried

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin the 3rd

Beta member
Im writing a book with some friends of mine, and since we wanted to be able to see what I typed on my laptop, I hooked it up to my tv.

All was fine until the battery started to run down and I ran to get my power cable. I plugged it in to the surge protector (which the tv was also plugged in to, if that matters) and when I connected it to my computer, there were a whole bunch of sparks and my laptop fried. I can't turn it on, but I popped the removable cd drive out to see if I could spot anything abnormal. Other than the large burn mark on the cd drive, everything looked good, includind the hdd.

However, I can no longer use my laptop, and I wondered if anyone could either: a) give me an explanation of why this happened (Ive watched movies from my laptop this way before, and needless to say it didnt blow up then) or b) tell me how to restore my laptop to working condition, if possible.

Afterwards, to test, I touched the video cable to the power cable and, suprise, a bunch of sparks. It actually melted the power cable somewhat. (Yeah, it was a stupid test cause everything was still hooked up to the tv, sound system, dvd, cd, etc...but it showed me where the problem was.)

Im going to go get one of those ide adaptors to see if I can grab anything off of my hard drive, but Id like to be able to use the laptop again, if possible.

-m3

that sucks buddy sounds to me lik everything is fried in there, did u connect the laptop outlet properly to the surge protector. if not u probably put in inverse which caused the sparks.

out of curiosity why would u touch the video cable with the power cable?

It was definately in the right way, gateway power adapters have a ground wire, and theres only one way you can put a three pronged plug in.

Im now thinking it was a problem with gateway's power adapter, and Im gonna see what state the warranty is in and call gateway.

And I touched the two wires together because the troubleshooter in me was trying to figure out why it fried my lappy, and the reason part of me was out for lunch.

-m3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom