Laptop Freezes (with Keyboard & Mouse) ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4mes_bond25

Baseband Member
Would anyone have any idea as why my Toshiba laptop gets frozen after using it for only 5 minutes or so. I can't use the keyboard & the mouse pointer gets frozen & the only way to get over it is by turning the power off.

Couple of days back, I couldn't EVEN turn the power on but someone I manage to do after a while & at least managed to use the Safe Mode with Networking & transferred all my files using the wireless Network onto my PC (& hence backed-up all my data). Afterwards, the power was turning on but the screen used to get frozen at a point where Windows XP banner first comes up (when it's loading & has the status bar underneat it).

Now the power seems to be turning on & am being able to get to the desktop but within 5 min. or so using it, keyboard & mouse gives up.

I've recently had hard disk changed, so hightly doubted if it's anything to do with it. How about the CPU fan or RAM chip fault, or something else ??? Any idea.

I'm using Windows XP Pro. SP2 & has 256 MB of RAM with around 1Ghz of processor speed.

Even if I just use the Internet, it freezes. So, it's NOT only when I use more programs or so (or else, it could've been the RAM's fault).

sounds to me as a driver conflict... a new hard drive meant a new windows load. I seriously doubt it's hardware. I would find all the correct drivers, then reinstall everything. (Windows, chipset, video, etc... if it were me)

Nukem said:
sounds to me as a driver conflict... a new hard drive meant a new windows load. I seriously doubt it's hardware. I would find all the correct drivers, then reinstall everything. (Windows, chipset, video, etc... if it were me)

How could I possibly update the ALL the drivers in once (or do I do so, one by one), since it'll just freeze within 5 min. or so. Shall I try doing so, by going to the Safe Mode ??? If so, is it F8 that I need pressing when Windows is starting up ???

You need to find out what your hardware is. If you can boot in safe mode w/networking and get on the internet, you can download them to your laptop. Otherwise download the drivers onto another PC, burn them to a CD, then you can boot into safe mode and do what you need. If booting in safe mode causes no problems, then I would guess it is your video driver that causes the problem. And yes, it is usually F8 that gets you into safe mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom