Laptop freezes during reformat - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Laptop freezes during reformat

Hi,

My laptop started freezing yesterday, and after a few minutes I got the BSOD. I did a hard reboot, and couldn't get past the windows logon screen, and eventually went back to the BSOD. It wouldn't even go into safe mode. After the machine had been off for a while, I could reboot, but 10 minutes in, it would freeze again, and the same thing would happen. When the computer freezes the sound changes, and I get a quiet clicking noise.

I thought it might be bad ram, so I replaced the ram, and still the same problem.

I decided to reformat (thinking it may be a virus, or spyware issue). It wasn't such a great idea. The furthest I've gotten into the reformat is 30% before everything stops, and the clicking noise starts again.

I have a Toshiba Satellite M30
1.6 GHz Pentium M 715 CPU (1Mb L2 cache)
1Gb DDR PC2700 ram (2x512Mb)
80 GB 4200 rpm HDD (Toshiba MK8025GAS)
64Mb DDR NVIDIA GeForce FX GO 5200

Does anyone have any suggestions for me.

Thanks
Soma

Old 02-12-2008, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Default Re: Laptop freezes during reformat

Sounds like a failing hard disk to me. Clicking is bad.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Yep hard drive sounds as if its getting ready to give up the ghost.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I've read from some other forums that it could be the hard drive. I've also found quite a few posts where they replaced the hard drive, and the problem persisted.

I will try the HD, and see if that fixes the issue. I'm wondering if there are any other possibilities.

Soma
Old 02-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Clicking is caused by two possible things. Electrical arcs or mechanical contact. Both are bad. If you replace the drive and still hear clicking, check all connections. My lappy did the same thing. Hard drive wes clicking. It would also shock the crap out of you now and then. Replaced the drive and both problems went away.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Smile Re: Laptop freezes during reformat

Hi,

I replaced the Hard Drive last night, and all is well. No more clicking, no more freezing. Thank you sooo much for your help.

Just one more question. In the past month or so, my mouse would stop working; I'd replace it, and after a while, the new one wouldn't work, but the old one would work again. The DVD burner would either not show up, or fail part way through a burn. Could these things be attributed to the failing hard drive? I haven't had the new one in long enough to know if these problems are going to persist, but I think it must have all been tied in to the old hard drive.

Thanks again
Soma

Closed Thread