Laptop Failure? HELP! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Angry Laptop Failure? HELP!

Ok, I have a Dell Latitude D600.

Here's the problem, one day I was having a freeze up problem with my computer, I turned it off expecting to turn back on and all is well in the world of technology.......wrong.

I get this message after the screen comes up saying Dell with the screen loading and what not. Then after it loads a message comes up saying "Invalid configuration information- please run SETUP program, Primary hard disk drive 0 not found, Time-of-day not set- please run SETUP program. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility."

here's another, I press either F1 or F2 and nothing happens.... at least during the loading screen, but after the message comes up I press F2 and setup appears.

A friend who is good with computers told me the hard drive failed as the arm inside makes a clicking noise.

I wonder if this is true?

Any help would be appreciated, this is a nice laptop and in good condition. I hope it's repairable?

Old 02-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Try reseating your ram, make sure the notebook is OFF , pull the plug and remove the battery.
when you go into the bios, some bios's show the hardware, do you see your hd .... or where it is supposed to be detected ?
it is possible that the hd went dead. The click of death your friend mentioned usually can be heard on desktop hd's. Notebooks the hd's usually just stop working or get bad sectors...ect.
Closed Thread