lagging games

Status
Not open for further replies.

tankiedave

Beta member
Sarps, i'm Dave. I have a brand new computer which i bought in february. The specs are below
Intel Pentium D 830
Asus P5N32 SLi Delux Motherboard
Corsair Value Select 1024mb (512 x2) 667mhz Cas 4
Seagate Baracuda 300gb SATA
Leadtek 7800GTX Extreme
Creative X-Fi Extreme Music

My comps ranked in the top 1% of all comps according to the windows game advisor but it seems to lag when i play games like FEAR. On my logitech G15 keyboard it says 99 % of my ram is being used. I'm saving for more ram but i'm not sure if thats the problem because games like FEAR only require 512 mbs. WTH is wrong!! Should i buy more ram?? or is there somthing wrong??
Any help will be much appreciated.
Oh and if you hav a spare 800 bucks can you buy me:
OCZ 2GB (2x1GB Kit) Titanium Alpha VX2 PC2-8000 (1000mhz), CL 4-4-4-15
I'm sure i'll fix the problem :D ;)

Oh yeah, i'm going overseas in september to bali and i was wondering if i can buy cheap computer parts there :)

thanx ppls, tankiedave""

FEAR huh, are you maxing out the settings with soft shadows? coz that would do it.
What settings are you trying to run at? and what other games are you refering to?

minimum specs for games and those required to play them comfortably are two very different things. 2gb would most likely help. i would like to point out that the 830 is not a particularly good gaming processor but i'm almost willing to bet that part of your problem is the "stuttering" experienced by trying to play a game on both cores.

To MrCoffee
Yes i do max the soft shadows but i don't see why my comp can't handle it??? I usually max every setting in a game, lmao. My comp also 'lags' when i play doom 3 but it doesn't seem to lag when i play Splinter Cell CT.

To nitestick
The 'stuttering' is caused by trying to play on both cores right? Can you help me turn a core off? or is there another way? i guess i should start saving for another gig. do you think i'll be able to buy it in bali?

thanx bro's for all ur help
much appreciated

Umm, Windows Game Advisor lied to you! :D Or it's a copy that 6 months old. That PC is nowhere near the top 1% of gaming PCs! Not dissing you mate, just clarifying things. My PC would be considered slightly better than yours for gaming, and even I have to turn Soft Shadows off. But that's just because I don't really see a difference with it on, and because like my resolution set to 1600x1200. :D Trust me on this, there's very little difference in looks between Soft Shadow on or off.

So to ask the question again, what resolutions are you trying to play at? And with what settings turned on?

What else is running in the background? That's usually the culprit.

When I play BF2, I have to kill everything except my AV and ObjectDock. My rig is in my sig. But, then, BF2 doesn't play well with other programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom