Keyboard not working after BIOS menu, Can't log onto Windows!! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Keyboard not working after BIOS menu, Can't log onto Windows!!

Basically I went to a LAN party and brought my rig with me, it decided to not work after I had unplugged it all and set it back up at my friends. Everything was working find, dual head monitors, wireless mouse, LED lights inside my tower, everything but my keyboard. Itís a USB Saitek Eclipse II with drivers installed in its hardware which windows recognizes. After I boot up my comp, it will bring up the picture of my core cell extreme chip logo, then go to the little DOS text saying stuff about my hardware/Ethernet etc., where you would press <f1> or <f2> or <del> to go into your BIOS. A moment after this my monitor flashes and goes to the Windows loading screen. This is where I have the problem. The num lock key on my keyboard will stay on and will not turn off if I push it, Same with all the other keys including scroll lock and caps lock. This only happens on PS/2 keyboards by the way; the USB keyboard will only light up its background LED's and wont even turn on its num lock LED. Yes I have tried these keyboards on other computers, they work fine, I also have tried other USB keyboards too but they don't work, just like mine. The PS/2 keyboards works on other computers also.

I have tried remote access connection from my other computer hooked up through the same router but that didn't work most likely because I don't have it enabled on my computer. I have also tried many settings in my BIOS and fooled around with that for long enough, like turning off the USB ports and then enabling them, etc.

If you have any tips or ideas of anything for me to try I would appreciate it, I'm stumped =P.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Default Re: Keyboard not working after BIOS menu, Can't log onto Windows!!

Sounds like the OS is having trouble loading the driver for the keyboard. Can you press F8 and get into safe mode?

Closed Thread