Keyboard malfunction

yoricknicholls

Solid State Member
Greetings fellow techists,

I've been having some issues with my laptop keyboard of late, and I would appreciate your input if you have a few mins to spare. I'll break it down to keep it simple:

Laptop: DELL XPS 17 L702X, bought in early 2011. So now a good 5yrs+ old. In great condition. Has not suffered from any major issues since purchase.

Issue: Some keys have begun not responding at times. Either whilst doing capitals or not. Then when functionality returns (approx 5-10s later) keyboard often double types. When backspacing to correct, it double backspaces. Issue stops for a short period, back to normal, and then picks up again at any given time. Keys include T, Backspace, N. Perhaps even others.

Appreciate any advice. I have a sneaking feeling the keyboard needs replacing. No virus or malware detected by AVG and Malwarebytes.

Thanking you in advance,

Yorick

You could remove the keyboard and reseat the connector, but I would just go ahead and replace it since you would be removing it anyway. Some keyboards last longer but getting five years of solid use out of it is pretty good in my book.

Is this happening in a particular program, such as always in Internet Explorer? Or is it happening in all programs? How long ago did it start and what's the most recent software/hardware change you've made on the computer?

If it's happening in all programs, I'd try booting off of a Linux LiveCD and see if you still have the issue.

If you have the issue in the live Cd environment...most likely hardware issue. If not...most likely software/driver/Windows issue.

Thank you Trotter, I'm beginning to think the keyboard has finally begun to fail steadily. Perhaps a hardware replacement is in order.

MidnightShadow a good question. At first I thought only with Outlook, but then again I just had issues typing the T of Trotter a moment ago and double T also came out. So I think it a general issue. It's been happening for about 1month+ now. Some software updates as usual but no software I haven't used before. I have tried with a USB plugin keyboard and have not had the issue then, so I'm worried it might indeed be hardware.

carnageX thank you for the suggestion although I am not familiar with that procedure. Will have to look it up.

Thank you Trotter, I'm beginning to think the keyboard has finally begun to fail steadily. Perhaps a hardware replacement is in order.

MidnightShadow a good question. At first I thought only with Outlook, but then again I just had issues typing the T of Trotter a moment ago and double T also came out. So I think it a general issue. It's been happening for about 1month+ now. Some software updates as usual but no software I haven't used before. I have tried with a USB plugin keyboard and have not had the issue then, so I'm worried it might indeed be hardware.

carnageX thank you for the suggestion although I am not familiar with that procedure. Will have to look it up.

Download an ISO from Ubuntu.com and either burn the ISO to a DVD or create a bootable flashdrive (using something like Rufus), and then boot off of the media you created and select the option to "Try Ubuntu" at the selection menu.

Thank you carnageX

One thing I failed to mention: I did recently perform a BIOS update on my laptop not that long ago. The issue occurred more or less around that time. Could it be linked?

As I am typing to you right now, I am using a USB keyboard. Prior to this, the onboard keyboard letters T, Y and Backspace have been misbehaving.

Quite possible that it's linked; would think that if it was BIOS related, it would also affect the Linux LiveCD.

Back
Top Bottom