Keyboard functionality issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

donaldj

Baseband Member
Hello,

I recently revived an ancient Acer TravelMate 220 laptop (from 2001). It was working for a day, or two, then my soldering job on the power source failed, and I needed to fix that. So, I opened her up, and re-soldered, and all was well (or so I thought). The keyboard isn't working in XP, or Linux.

Heres what's I've figured.

The keyboard DOES work in the BIOS settings thing. I can use the keyboard as long as i want in it, it doesn't stop working at any time.

The keyboard DOES NOT work at the XP login. No key works (Function, letters, numbers, option... etc), and no CTRL+ALT+DEL.

I tried my XP CD. It boots to it, but I cannot use the keys whilst inside of its settings.

I tried an Ubuntu LiveCD. It boots to the page where it asks me wether it wants to install, boot in Safe Mode, or check the CD, and other options. I can select one of those using the keyboard. When I select Install, goes through its verbose booting stuffs, then stops leaving the screen black, and no thinking sounds coming from the computer.

Using the 'Check CD' option inside of the LiveCD, it checks successfully (no errors), but when It asks to 'Press any key to restart', it does not recognize my keypresses.

The keyboard also works during Ubuntu's memory test.

I checked, and the keymapping settings for the CD is set to English (American)... which is the keyboard I have.

I've tried both a PS2 keyboard, and a USB keyboard, neither work, however the USB keyboard was from my Mac, so that could be that problem, however, I have no other USB keyboard.

Mouse works fine...

*sigh* :confused:

I hope I can get this working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom