Key board not working help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2010, 03:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Exclamation Key board not working help!

Whenever i plug my keyboard in (its a ps2 plug) i got from my grandparents (e machines) into my computer, both the caps and the num lock light up but the keyboard is not responding. None of the keys do anything what so ever. When i go to Control panel>system>keyboards, it doesnt show up. i dont know what the problem is. Ive tried turning the computer off, unpluging it and plugging it back in. Nothing. Everytime i start it up both caps and num lock come on but again like i said nothing. Help please!!!!

Old 04-01-2010, 03:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: Key board not working help!

Your computer might not have the ps2 drivers... idk why it wouldn't.

Look! It's moving. It's alive. It's alive... It's alive, it's moving, it's alive, it's alive, it's alive, it's alive, IT'S ALIVE!

Intel i5 3570k 3.5 quad | Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 mobo
Cosair XMS3 2x4GB 1333MHz DDR3 | EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 550Ti 1GB DDR5
Corsair 700w PSU | Western Digital Blue Cavier 320GB 7200RPM 16MB SATA II | Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Old 04-01-2010, 04:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I would probably try the keyboard on another computer to make sure its not faulty. I'm not sure if you should need drivers as every keyboard that I've seen that connects with PS/2 or USB works without drivers (think about how you need to be able to use keyboard to access bios before any software actually loads).
Old 04-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

I think it is getting power, but a pin might be bent or missing. Therefore, you get the lights, but not detected.
__________________ Steam Account
Old 04-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

If you have USB inputs (I'm assuming you do), you could spend around $10 and buy a USB keyboard. I've found them to be easier to deal with compared to the PS/2 keyboards. Just a thought
Closed Thread