k8t890-a, sata & pata device conflict - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2006, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default k8t890-a, sata & pata device conflict

Hello! My first post here.

Ok I'm about to shoot a mainboard.

I have a k8t890-a that has worked beautifully the last 4 or so months [i]with[/] a Plextor 712SA SATA DVD-R/RW and a Maxtor 120GB Hard Drive (PATA). I had a problem with another computer with an identical dvd burner so I swapped the two. When it came up, all **** seemed to break loose. When by itself, the HD works properly, on Primary Master. When the sata burner is hooked up with it, however, the SATA becomes the primary master IDE (the PATA one) and the HD becomes 3rd master (On this board, means SATA1). Even when I hook up the burner on SATA2, the hard drive still sticks to SATA1 when hooked up with the burner. even disabling the PATA controller didn't work, the SATA just didn't decide to show up. Nothing changed at all, all I did was swap an identical piece of hardware in the machine. Windows didn't even get a chance to screw it up so I believe it lies somewhere in the bios, because it now does the same thing on either sata burner.

First and foremost, I need a solution. I'd really like to know what the **** cause the board change on it's own to confuse itself like that. Any thoughts? I'm all out of ideas
Closed Thread