Just stopped working...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarrenX

In Runtime
Hey guys, me Warren again.

Anyway, ive had this comp I built for the last 2 years and nothing has ever gone wrong with it... So this morning I wake up and go to boot up and it fires for a sec then dies. So im there like "hmmmm... *sigh*". Fastforward about 10 hours and Im here trying to figure out what is the problem. I check the psu with a multimeter and it shows a signal (my dad's meter is really old and i couldnt figure out wtf it was measuring, but it was high, on the power molex I got 15 something on the 3.3v and like 125+ on the 12v). So im typing this at 10:29 now, still confused, I mean ive torn out everything, dusted and cleaned it to the core, and no matter how I do this method of deduction (just mb, cpu, etc.) its still just starting for 1 sec then dying. The mb LED is on, but still no dice :(. Ya ive checked the power (its 115), connections, idk wat to do. So ya fellas, counting on you guys now to help me :). Crossing my fingers its not a short or something, but its starting to look like that.

as always TY fellas :)

-WarrenX

About all that could be done at this point is try swapping out the necessary components with spares and seeing if it boots. If you have more than one stick of memory, try booting up with just one, if nothing then switch. Also try putting them in different banks and seeing if that gets any results. If you have no spare parts, this will be almost impossible to determine what the culprit is. But to me, I can narrow it down to 3. Has to be either the motherboard, CPU or memory, as those are the only three that would cause the computer to not POST. I'm even steering away from memory, because if memory serves me, I believe a computer will fire up but just beep constantly if there is no memory in it or the memory is bad. I could be wrong on that though, as I haven't had to troubleshoot a board in quite a while. Hopefully you can get your hands on some spare parts, even if they are just a friends that you could have help you out in figuriing out the problem. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom