Just built my PC, nothing coming up on the screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most modern motherboards have done completely or almost completely away with jumpers. In the good ol' days, there used to be lots of pins sticking out of many motherboards and to change settings you would move jumpers (small plastic linkages that connected two pins like a switch) to change settings on your board.

Modern boards usually do all their settings in the BIOS, but if you can't get the board to turn on you'll never get to those settings.

Try clearing the board's CMOS. There's 3 main ways to do this depending on your board. The sure-fire way is to pull the battery. Unplug your PC from the wall and press the power button (after unplugging) to make sure all power supply energy is drained. Then remove the small round coin cell backup battery from the motherboard and wait a few minutes. This resets the board's CMOS (where all your settings are saved).

Alternatively, some boards have a "CLEAR CMOS" button either on the back panel or somewhere on the board itself. Pressing or holding it should clear the CMOS. On other boards, there is a 2 or 3 pin jumper block where jumping two of the pins will clear CMOS when you try to power on the PC (it must be plugged in for both of these methods to work). If using a jumper, remember to unset the jumper (move it back to its original setting) after you get it working.

I've tried going HDMI AND the Blue Monitor Plug (?) on both the Mobo and GPU, neither work.

the blue plug you're talking about is probably the vga connection.

do you mean that you tried hooking up your monitor to both your mobo and your gfx card at the same time? (which won't work btw, that's why im asking)

or that you tried one and then the other?

try removing the gfx card completely from the mobo, and just hook up your monitor to the mobo to rule out a possible faulty gfx card.

my PSU isn't PCI. That doesn't make any sense but I'm assuming your using your old power supply which is probably your problem.

his psu is an old pc p&c.
Turbo-Cool 510 ATX Power Supply
and it doesn't appear to have any pci-e connections, so he has to use the adapter.

Slave, my PSU is not PCI-e which means I have to use a 4 to 6 pin adapter for it to fit my GPU. Not sure what doesn't make sense about that part. But the PSU is 510 Continuous 650 peak.. That's well over the GPU requirement.

No Muffin I did not plug them in at the same time. What I mean is, we plugged the monitor into the mobo, nothing. So we switched to HDMI, nothing, then we went to the GPU and plugged the monitor in there, nothing, then HDMI through the GPU and nothing. Tried each separately.

My buddy thinks it may be a CPU/Mobo issue, but I keep telling him I'm almost 100% sure they are compatible given it says so right on the **** box.

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Are they compatible? Yeah, they are.. At least says so on the Mobo Specs... That Phenom II works.

And just for the record, I did do a COMPLETE compatibility check on all my parts, multiple times before ordering anything. And all of you said good to go... So the PSU really should not be the problem...

It was set up/installed by a pro, he has a 4yr in Computer Science so I trust him that he did the build correctly. Both of us are stumped here.

MoM, the GPU needs 450, the PSU does 510 Continuous..

But say it IS the GPU needing too much power.. Then wouldn't it work through the Mobo VGA? Cause even plugging a monitor into the onboard one doesn't work.

Cause if it was just the GPU I'd assume the Mobo would still work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom