bakenator

Beta member
quick:
built new pc w/ sata HD
works great
plugged in old computers ide HD and can access files that arnt write protected
tried to boot from old HD through chaging primary drive in bios
something wierd hapened and i fidled with the jumped at the back of the HD
now that i cant boot from old hd (restarts after trying to boot windows xp)
is there anyway to retreive the files that are write protected?

It restarts because XP needs to be repaired to work with the new hardware first.

Do a repair install with an XP CD and then boot from the drive.

Hello,

As demonstrated, you can't boot into an installation of Windows from a different machine, on another machine which has different hardware. Sometimes it works, but it almost always fails because the Windows partition (originally installed on a different machine) does not have the correct drivers installed for the new hardware on the host machine.

As for gaining access to your files on your old hard drive, once connected to your new computer, you need to take ownership if the folders and files in order to be able to read and modify them. Search google for help on how to take ownership of files in Vista / XP (depending on what OS you're currently using).

I had to do this with old files in had on and old IDE HD when putting a new SATA in my comp. I run XP and there is a Microsoft solution for taking ownership of the files while logged in as an administrator.

Let me try to find it.

EDIT* cool i found a good guide for XP users: How to: Taking ownership of files; A guide for windows XP users. - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion

and for vista: [Rel] Take Control b2 - WinMatrix
I've never used the vista way though... looks like you need to DL a program.

Edit again* looks like i can't remove the link... I hope this doesn't break rules or anything. sorry :X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom