Issues with the hard disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

moraglar

Beta member
Hi there. I'm having a problem with my desktop PC that has been driving my nuts for the last month.

First of all my specs:

Board: Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H Socket AM2+
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940 X4 Quad Core 3.0Ghz AM2 Box
Graphics: Asus HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 PCI-e
Memory: 2x Kingston HyperX 2GB DDR2 1066MHz PC2-8500
Power: NOX Urano 500W

This setup has been working fine for 1 year and a half until I started having problems to start Windows. At first computer got stuck reading from hard disk while loading the desktop or when I started any program. Days later it started running the Startup repair instead of Windows or not running anything at all.

Thought it was the hd so bought a new one. It worked fine for a week until it started happening the same with the new disk.

Scans with SeaTools and other utilities find problems until I perform a complete format with another computer. Then they are all fine. Also full scan with HDD Regenerator showed no bad sectors.

I've tried reseting CMOS, updating BIOS and plugging the hard disks on a different sata port and using a different sata cable. Nothing worked.

I'm pretty clueless a what's going on and wonder if a faulty motherboard or power supply could be the source of the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Ok, left memtest 86 running all night. 8 passes and 0 errors.

Before that I tried again the first disk that gave me problems (Seagate 500MB). The day after formatting reinstalling only Windows, drivers and antivirus it wouldn't even start. Now I'm trying that disk on another computer and it has been working fine for several days. Filled it with data, ran full diagnostics and everything is ok.

So I'm pretty sure I can rule out the hard disks as the source of the problem.

Start>Run>chkdsk /r /f and sfc /scannow commands. Run those.

I've replaced the power supply unit and seems to work fine by now.

Start>Run>chkdsk /r /f and sfc /scannow commands. Run those.

I've tried other scan tools and both disks were fine. Will try that one nevertheless. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom