Issues with dual DVD-RW drives, PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratmffl

Beta member
Hello, I just joined this site in my desperation to fix this issue:

Today I just added an additional DVD burner to my desktop which I built up in March. I bought a Sony DRU-810A so that I could copy DVD's straight to a blank DVD without having to lift the files to my hard drive beforehand. My other DVD-RW drive is an LG, model no. GSA-4167B.

My problem is that whenever I now insert a DVD disc into EITHER of the drives (which are daisy-chained via IDE cable, Sony as the master and the LG as the slave/secondary), my computer will suddenly restart without even showing a blue-screen-of-death. In the Windows error report, it says that the problem was caused by a "Windows Stop error", but I googled that term and found nothing particularly pertinent. It's important to note that this is only happening with DVD discs, and not regular CD-ROM's. I have inserted CD-ROM discs into both drives and everything worked normally. It's only when I insert a DVD into either drive that this involuntary force-restart occurs.

I have scoured google for updated drivers for either drive, but all I could find was a firmware updater for the Sony drive, which when I downloaded it and ran it, told me that I already had the most up-to-date firmware. Sweet. The LG drive came with no installation CD and I have had no problems of this sort with it until today when I introduced the additional Sony drive into the mix. Anyway, has anyone else had an issue like this?? This is incredibly irritating to me, especially because I bought this extra drive to do exactly what it now will not let me do. Thanks so much,

Ben

I see 2 possible reasons:
1) hardware-related problem . I had a dvdrw drive, which would not read dvd's. After I put it to another IDe channel - it started working ok
diagnostic: Try to separate your problematic drive and put it to different ide channel (either slave or master) and see what happens.

2)software-related problem. In cace cd(dvd)rom auto load is enabled in windows (as it is enabled by default in XP) you xp tries to to launch some tool (probably some sort of player to play dvd) - I'm not sure what it tries to launch, because I never (gladly) used windows XP.
diagnostic: go to device manager, find your cd-rom and disable auto-run function. If it stops rebooting - it's buggy software.
In that case download some good freeware opensource player than can play dvds (among other things) like VLC, Mplayer,MPC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom