Issue with second monitor Help pls! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Issue with second monitor Help pls!

My second monitor is my TV. In another room. It appears like the resolution is off, as I'm missing about an inch around the screen. My monitor is LCD, and required a 16x9 ratio. I previously had an ATI HD 4800 card with the same TV and it worked fine. I was on WinXP at the time. Now I'm on a GFX 460 on Win7. I have to run duplicated mode for the displays, otherwise the whole thing is pointless(extend desktop doesn't work since it's in another room).

Please any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Issue with second monitor Help pls!

Nobody knows?

Old 02-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Are you running cloned or Split Screen? Do you mean GTX460? If so in your nvidia settings there should be an option (no clue where) to set it so the desktops have independent resolutions.

Intel i5 3570k 3.5 quad | Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 mobo
Cosair XMS3 2x4GB 1333MHz DDR3 | EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 550Ti 1GB DDR5
Corsair 700w PSU | Western Digital Blue Cavier 320GB 7200RPM 16MB SATA II | Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Old 02-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Most likely the Resolution on your Monitor does not match that of your TV which is why when you clone the desktop to the TV you get empty space. Your TV is not stretching the image to fit the screen and matching the resolution on the Monitor.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 02-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobaku View Post
Are you running cloned or Split Screen? Do you mean GTX460? If so in your nvidia settings there should be an option (no clue where) to set it so the desktops have independent resolutions.
Sorry, ya GTX. I looked for that option, cannot find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak213 View Post
Most likely the Resolution on your Monitor does not match that of your TV which is why when you clone the desktop to the TV you get empty space. Your TV is not stretching the image to fit the screen and matching the resolution on the Monitor.
I know this is the case. But as I said It was working with a different video card. Some setting somewhere must allow this. Force the TV to stretch, or use a different resolution. I know what the problem is, need the resolution! =)
Old 02-22-2011, 12:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I use a ATI card and with mine I need to go to the scaling options and scale it to fit the TV. There must be this option in your N word card!

Edit: Found these post from other forums on a quick search:

Quote:
EDIT: Sweet! Using the TV zoom mode "Just Scan" fixed the scaling issues. Still couldnt find the "Use display scaling/nVidia scaling" option. I think it may only become available on certain displays? (it is there with my HP LP3065 monitor). Thanks for the input guys
Quote:
I had a similar problem with the same card and my TV. The problem was solved with the new nvidia drivers 84.21.
If the TV is the secondary monitor, try this:
1. set clone mode
2. Create the custom resolution you need @60Hz (with the primary device selected) and save.
3. Now highlight the secondary device (TV) and go to "Device adjustments" and do the following:
a. for 1:1 pixel mapping select "Centered output" (not what you want by your post)
b. for scaling, check " treat as HDTV and 720p" save then select "display adaptor scaling" (I think this what you want). This is only available when "TV" is highlighted.

Notes: if you want 1:1 mapping you must first check " treat as HDTV and select 720p, or use the setup wizard to set 720p.-- Important, then uncheck " treat as HDTV". Centered output must be used for 1:1 mapping and apply your custom resolution.

Overscan comp is not available when " treat as HDTV" is unchecked. The way to get no overscan with 1:1 pixel mapping is to create a custom resolution that just fills you screen, but remember your values must be divisable by 8.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

nvidia 84.21 is quite old that driver does not support even win7, let alone win7 64bit. I do not see any pixel mapping or treat as hd settings inside my driver. This looks like it would work, but i cannot find anything similar inside my options.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

ok got a hold of my Nvidia friend that has sli gtx 480's. He also uses his HDTV. He said you need to make sure you have the most recent drivers. The option will be under Resize and it should be under the tab for screen resolution. He said you cannot miss it if you go through all the tabs
Old 02-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hey thanks for the help man!
But, ya I know about that option. And by default it's set to auto resize. This does not exist in DUPLICATE DISPLAY. Check the screenshot.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

=/

Closed Thread