Issue regarding mouse cursor feeling 'slippery'/inaccurate, need help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2017, 07:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Issue regarding mouse cursor feeling 'slippery'/inaccurate, need help!

Hey guys,
For about the last 2 months or so I've been getting a strange issue with my mouse cursor where it feels very inaccurate/jittery, almost as if it is on ice or something. I spend a lot of time on games, namely Dota 2 and CS:GO and it drastically effects my performance to the point where I cannot really play at all.
It's really starting to bother me as I cannot determine what the issue would be and have tried multiple things to troubleshoot it. It occurs both on the desktop and in-game, but in-game is where I feel it most as accuracy is a lot more valuable there (lol). When I say slippery, it's not to the point where it's completely sliding all over the screen, but it is enough for me to be unable to play games properly.

So far I have
-Used multiple mice on my computer and they all experience the same issue, I have also used the mice on a different computer and do NOT experience the issue. Also tried different mouse pads with no results.

-Messed around with DPI and mouse acceleration, and every other mouse setting there is in windows 10

-Reinstalled GPU and mouse drivers, and kept them updated

-Disabled Game DVR and Xbox application in windows 10

Then about a month ago I bought new parts for my PC (I was due to upgrade it) everything EXCEPT a new GPU and monitor. After this I still experience the issue.
This is my current set up:

-Mobo: Asus Z270G Gaming Motherboard

-CPU: Intel core i7-7700

-Memory: Corsair vengeance 16gb ddr4 2x8 2400mhz RAM

-PSU: Seasonic X-650

-GPU: Nvidia GTX 970

-Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310

-Mousepad: Steelseries QcK+

-Monitor: Samsung S24D390 60Hz

I plan on upgrading my GPU and monitor within the next 2 weeks to possibly a 1070/1080 and a 1080p 144hz monitor. I am not sure however that this will fix the issue?
I was wondering if anyone knew anything that could possibly have this effect on the mouse cursor for both hardware and software? I have found very little information on it online, but came across one thread that mentioned it could maybe be due to electricity (as in grounding/popwerpoint etc). Would love to hear what you guys think!
Thanks~

cudi2212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
W͂O̠̳ͨ̍̍̒̈́͛̕Ķ͎̠̱̰̓ͦĒ ̍̓ͦ

Default Re: Issue regarding mouse cursor feeling 'slippery'/inaccurate, need help!

Have you tried turning down the mouse sensitivity (in windows and in-game)?
Have you tried plugging your mouse in different USB ports?
Have you tried using a PS/2 mouse ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) ?

My Build
CPU - AMD X4 860k @ 3.7ghz
GPU - Nvidia GeForce 780
RAM - 2x HyperX Fury 4gb
MOBO - MSI A78M-E35
SSD - 120gb Kingston Hyper X
HDD - WD 320gb
Steam: zaka100123
zaka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Issue regarding mouse cursor feeling 'slippery'/inaccurate, need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaka100 View Post
Have you tried turning down the mouse sensitivity (in windows and in-game)?
Have you tried plugging your mouse in different USB ports?
Have you tried using a PS/2 mouse ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) ?
I've tried the sensitivity thing (game doesn't have a sensitivity option).
Have also tried different USB ports (my new motherboard and old motherboard) but they both seem to have the issue so I sort of concluded that it wasn't the USB ports unless I'm super unlucky.
As for the ps/2 mouse, I don't own one XD
cudi2212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

(Hope this doesn't count as thread bumping)

Hi, since I don't see an answer here, I thought I'd give it a shot myself.

There's this option in windows 10 called 'enhance pointer precision'. Chances are you've accidentally turned it off. I'm gonna post a link on how to fix it since my 1% battery seems quite daunting now.

https://www.google.nl/amp/www.thewin...on-windows/amp

I hope this will solve your problems.
MmarcoK is offline   Reply With Quote