isnt there a better way to troubleshoot?

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
I made a mistake of buying a used hp g62 laptop
it worked for a while
started to have random freezes rarely
after windows update installed all the updates needed it constantly freezes few minutes after startup
the problem is the internet is filled with threads about troubleshooting.

basically I see people troubleshooting is like looking for your car keys in the dark

just doing bunch of random **** hoping that something works

is there really no diagnostic software that can pinpoint a failing component or tell me what module or driver or file is causing a freeze up?

the hp g62 laptop is notorious freezer since it was released and all I see is people just doing random sht and it works temporarily but then keeps freezing again.
and HP tech support pretty much just throwin random things at customers to try cuz they are clueless as well.

this seems like a crappy way to troubleshoot

Last edited:
Troubleshooting 101 is basically tossing educated guesses from what the cause of the problem might be. The way I go about doing things depends entirely on what the issue is.

Freezing can be anything though. Does it blue screen when it freezes? Is it completely random when it freezes or is something under load? Does it freeze on a fresh format? Does it freeze with no drivers? What OS and software being used?

Hi I will watch and learn!! I like Who Crashed if you're getting a BSOD, but there are other good BSOD programs. You're in good hands with PP Mguire
Gary!

Last edited:
Like my HP G7 The G62 is a generic name. We need the complete model number to see what specs the one you have has. There is a sticker on the inside to the right of the keyboard or f it's not there look on the sticker on the bottom. Here's the generic service manual in pdf.
http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02542102.pdf

Hi raverx3m, before you start calling our troubleshooting crappy, ****, and a bunch of random **** were hoping will work! (you make me laugh) REMEMBER most of us have spent years working in IT troubleshooting/ implementing preventable measures to stop issues and we learn from this so its not "random**** were trying"... When someone tells us the problem/ affects of the issue, we can start to use our knowledge and experience to solve this.. So please respect that..

With your issue, When did you do these updates? I ask this because there is sometimes a Windows update that is buggy and can crash the OS and needs to be removed, we had one at our office and I managed to find it and remove it, so if you can tell me the date, I can see if it matches any of the updates I had to remove.

:cool:

Over heating is an issue all laptops suffer from. If the chassis is too close to the hard surface it's sitting on it can get starved for cooler air and get really hot. This will lead to slow downs and lockups. Putting it on your lap or the bed covers can block the intake vents also. Laptop is a misnomer. If you're using it in that manner a class or metal cookie sheet will help out. There are beanbags that have a hard flat surface made in to them just for laptops. Check at office supply places or Wally World.

Another cause is the cooler for the system just isn't up to the job. Unfortunately even good manufactures will compromise on the cooling to cut costs. Performance will suffer. These laptops need to be avoided. But since you already have it let's press on.

Put you hand by the exhaust vent on the left side. Is the air warm or hot? Do you hear the fan speeding up and slowing down while it's running? If the fan isn't changing speed to handle the load it may be the fan controller in the BIOS is set up wrong. If there is no setting for the fan you can install speed fan and see if it allows you to crank up the fan. Some systems don't play well with speed fan so don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

As for an update causing it to freeze, this could be just an exacerbation of the problem. The more of a load you put on a system, the hotter it gets.

But then on the other hand some software including OS's are junk and just poorly written. They too can cause lockups and crashes. Follow i2D__'s lead and get the date of the troublesome update and let him run it down.

There are no problems that can't be resolved by liberal applications of high explosives.

first of all. don't get al defensive. I didn't say your troubleshooting sucks. you take it too personal.

I said theres no tools available to troubleshoot. the whole system of troubleshooting for computers is based on trying random things until something works. most of the time troubleshooting fails. and a full system reinstall solves the problem.

unlike cars that a diagnostic can be run on a car to show where the problem is. theres no tools available for typical consumer that can be ran or active in the background to show what exactly is causing a freeze or slowdown.

its pretty much hit and miss. just look at this forum. most of the time theres no solution.

heres google search for g62 laptop.
https://www.google.com/search?q=g62+freezing&btnG=Google+Search&gws_rd=ssl

its been goin on for years and still no solid answer why they freeze so often on that model. HP is just waiting it out until people say **** it and upgrade to newer model... they got our money and people are to lame to go and ask for their money back for ****ty product.

my laptop started freezing after i ran windows update. it haven't been updated for a while and had 79 important updates. ( please don't say oh theres your problem) because other computers i installed over 100 updates at once with no issues 99% of the time.

g62 will boot up and if i don't start moving a mouse right away it will freeze at startup.
i uninstalled mouse drivers from touchpad synaptics and used a usb mouse.
it worked while iobit was scanning the system as soon as it was done it froze again.
if i stop moving the mouse for about a minute it will freeze
before updates it would sit for few hours with no programs running or with programs and freeze
theres no memory issues or hard drive errors

if i could run any diagnostic i would but it freezes most of the time before diagnostic has a chance to finish.

it freezes in safe mode right away. no chance to do anything there either

I said theres no tools available to troubleshoot. the whole system of troubleshooting for computers is based on trying random things until something works. most of the time troubleshooting fails. and a full system reinstall solves the problem.

unlike cars that a diagnostic can be run on a car to show where the problem is. theres no tools available for typical consumer that can be ran or active in the background to show what exactly is causing a freeze or slowdown.

Sorry mate, but there's PLENTY of tools available for troubleshooting.

Just like cars, you have to use the right tool for the right job. In fact, here's a good one to start with (and guess what? It's free and most of the tools are even open source):
Ultimate Boot CD - Overview

TONS of tools available for troubleshooting / diagnostics. If you pay attention to any error codes you can, 99% of the time you can research that error code and figure out what it's in reference to. BSOD's are the easiest to troubleshoot because they tell you exactly what the problem is 90% of the time, especially if you have the minidump file available to dig deeper with, using WinDbg and the Debugging Symbols.

As for "most of the time troubleshooting fails" - what's wrong with failing? Even if the step you took didn't actually SOLVE the issue, it rules out a specific piece of hardware or software (or even a process), and confirms that that part is NOT the issue. That, and add in the fact that troubleshooting gives you experience for the future so that you know what to look for. You think we all just know exactly what to look for right away? No, that's why we troubleshoot. Same goes with mechanics - they troubleshoot by looking at different areas of the car, asking questions ("what sound does it make?" "what were you doing when X started happening?" "how long has it been happening?", etc.), and performing diagnostics / testing on certain components and areas of the car.

And sorry, but a system reinstall IMO is not a solution unless absolutely necessary. At most it's a band-aid (especially if there's a hardware problem), and add on the fact that you gain NO troubleshooting knowledge. That's like buying a new car when you have a flat tire.

its pretty much hit and miss. just look at this forum. most of the time theres no solution.
About the only time there's no solution on here is when the OP abandons the thread - and half the time that's because they posted the same question on multiple sites and got an answer on another site before we were able to help.

heres google search for g62 laptop.
https://www.google.com/search?q=g62+freezing&btnG=Google+Search&gws_rd=ssl

its been goin on for years and still no solid answer why they freeze so often on that model. HP is just waiting it out until people say **** it and upgrade to newer model... they got our money and people are to lame to go and ask for their money back for ****ty product.
HP makes ****ty consumer products - that's why they freeze so much. Low quality parts with tons of bloatware make for a system with lots of issues.

my laptop started freezing after i ran windows update. it haven't been updated for a while and had 79 important updates. ( please don't say oh theres your problem) because other computers i installed over 100 updates at once with no issues 99% of the time.
Why do you wait so long to do updates? That DEFINITELY could be part of your issue. You shouldn't wait until you have hundreds of update queued up... People that do **** like that are why I'm glad Win10 is FORCING updates on Home users - so they don't queue up tons of important updates.

g62 will boot up and if i don't start moving a mouse right away it will freeze at startup.
i uninstalled mouse drivers from touchpad synaptics and used a usb mouse.
it worked while iobit was scanning the system as soon as it was done it froze again.
if i stop moving the mouse for about a minute it will freeze
before updates it would sit for few hours with no programs running or with programs and freeze
theres no memory issues or hard drive errors

if i could run any diagnostic i would but it freezes most of the time before diagnostic has a chance to finish.

it freezes in safe mode right away. no chance to do anything there either

Run diagnostics software that's independent of the Windows OS and tests the hardware directly, i.e. Linux LiveCD's and tools on UBCD to test components. If it fails in those environments, then you know there's a hardware issue causing your issues. Otherwise it's software or related. Guess what? I just did gave some simple instructions to troubleshoot your issue beyond just testing memory, HDD, or reinstalling drivers.

Back
Top Bottom