Internet Or What? Please help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Internet Or What? Please help!

Ok, this has been going on for months now. About once or twice every hour atleast... i will get disconnected from the internet for like 5-30 seconds. Then it will come back on. The lights on my router never go out or anything. I have tried everything i can to resolve this issue, but i cant figure it out. I am currently on Comcast with a linksys router they gave me. Really ****es me off.. especially while gaming. Any info would be nice on this, it would be much appreciated.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Internet Or What? Please help!

Try it out with another computer to see if it disconnects.
Do a direct connection to the modem instead of having it go through the router.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinks View Post
Try it out with another computer to see if it disconnects.
Do a direct connection to the modem instead of having it go through the router.
It happens on everything. Like my ps3 will get disconnected and my gf's computer as well. Doesnt disconnect long but still.. its bad enough. Its not wireless, it plugs directly into the router. Any viruses that do this? i have scanned my computer, with seek and destroy, bitdefender, adaware, and many more. Says its clean. Any ideas? Have had comcast come out 3 times, but still havnt fixed the issue. They havnt swapped routers yet though.. think its the router?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Take the router out of the equation as suggested earlier. Also try different cat5 cables as well in case one has gotten loose. If that fixes the problem you know it is the router or cables, if not since it happens on multiple computers it is either the modem or the line in, both comcast's responsibility.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Closed Thread