Internet keeps dropping on devices. Too many?

VistaGamer

Baseband Member
There are many devices at our house. 1 Desktop, 4 laptops, 1 PS3, 2 smartphones, 1 3DS, and this, which essentially streams channels. We also have 2 iPods but they haven't been configured to connect to the internet to my knowledge.

My Desktop usually stays connected to the internet at all times, but the connection is dropped frequently on the other devices (Usually once per day for every other device, Can get as frequent as 4-5 times). I have no idea how to approach this problem. I'm thinking it may be because we have too many devices connecting to the internet at once.

We use the DIR-835(our ISP is TekSavvy, a middleman for Videotron Service. if anyone cares to know). Nothing is connected directly to the router; it's all wireless. My Desktop connects via a USB adaptor;The DWA-121. Anyone have any idea what I should do?

Login to the router and increase the DHCP users limit. Most of the time the default is 10 on home routers, but could be less. I'd start by increasing that value.

Take one of your laptops and plug it directly into the modem (or router) to see if the problem is through the service or through the wireless. What bandwidth are you on (i.e. 3, 6, or 8Mbps)? A lot of times, hard wired computers do not have those types of issues. I'm willing to bet that it will be a problem with either your router or the router part of your modem/router depending on how new the system is.

I'd also check to see what encryption type your router is using, I had a PCI wireless card that was only rated for WPA and not WPA2. My system was set to WPA2, I was able to connect but it dropped a lot. I set it back to WPA and didn't have those issues anymore.

Back
Top Bottom