internet gateway - router problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonehelm

Daemon Poster
hi guys

I think my router has problems.

When im on the net browsing/playing/watching videos, I sometimes get disconnected for no reason, and when I go to control panel> network connections, the Internet gateway shows as disabled. I tried to enable it but it won't, it just says "connecting..." and freezes forever.

however, when this happends, I reset my modem, and everything works fine again. but when the net is back on again, I went to check the status of the internet gateway, and it STILL says disabled. What the heck is going on? I've also been getting abnormally high pings lately...my subscription is supposedly 1.5MB download...now I'm only getting 1.2MB...sometimes even 700KB.

It shouldn't be the cable that's connecting the router and my PC, since I've tried it with different cables and the problem still persists. Is it my router? I appreciate any help, thanks a lot.:)

What router do you have, cause I have kinda the same problem by getting disconnected, though i unplug my wireless device and plug it back in its fine.

So im pretty keen on why it does it too

well as long as the router has power your nic will stay connected to the router, and should keep the same IP, even if the router gets DCed from the PPPOE connection to your ISP.

You NIC should never go in to disable mode like that(if it is truly in disabled mode and not just in disconnected mode).

Try to use another port on the router (sounds like you are using wired ). Also would'nt hurt to try another cat5 cable if you have one. Check to make sure the NIC is installed correctly if its a PCI card. (set in the slot correctly).

Oh ya one other thing i have problems with on my router is that the DNS is flaky when its set to use my router as the dns. Does not sound like your problem but, would'nt hurt to also add your ISPs DNS servers manualy to your NIC.

If it is a ping DDOS wouldent it be at his router. It should not be bringing down his NIC interface. If its coming from on the comp then it could bring stuff down or DC it.

You should do some scans of your comp. Install a firewall and get ethereal (now wireshark). Do some network monitoring see whats coming in to ur comp and going out.

Check out your router config make sure Upnp is off. Make sure there are no rules set up to port forward to your comp that you did not set up, or know what program is on that port. If it is a DDOS ICMP flood set up some rules to block ICMP if you can.

Ahh man sux if its attacks. Way easer if its just hardware.

GOOD LUCK.

thanks for the help guys. I'll update this when I have done what you guys told me to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom