Internal HDD to External - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Internal HDD to External

I recently bought a seagate barracuda 200GB ST3200822A ATA internal drive as a bargain and realise now i can't hook it up. The primary IDE slot is taken up with 2 DVD drives and the cable doesn't fit into the other slot. My PC has 2 other HDDs in a Raid-0 Serial-ATA.

So...I figure i'll use an external enclosure. A Mapower USB-enclosure. It powers up the HDD and the windows XP "new hardware" noise plays, but nothing pops up. In "safely remove hardware" it shows up as a USB mass storage device, but it's not in My Computer.

How can I get this drive to work?

Old 08-21-2006, 10:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

try setting it to master/slave..

I've never really had this problem, double check you're cables and such, Any hard drive I've put into a external usb enclosure (same enclosure different hard drives) all worked flawlessly.. Didnt even have to format the drive.

Have you tried different drives in the enclosure?.. Also, his hard drive could have been a bargain for that very reason (it might not work).

Old 08-21-2006, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yea...i set the pin on the HDD right for the enclodure. Set to Master/Single.

I tried connecting another HDD through the enclosure. It made that hopeful noise again, but this time after about 30 seconds it made the disconnect sound aswell. It still didn't say "new hardware found" or show up in My Computer.

I suppose this is a USB fault? I'm searching for my windows disk as i type.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

OK i figured it out.

i went to run diskmgmt.msc to get to the management (can also go through "manage" when you right click my computer)

then i selected to initialise a primary partition and assigned a drive letter. It's formatting as i type.

;D
Old 08-21-2006, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

..yep

...new drives aren't formatted yet, so no partitions or file system exists until you make one.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 08-21-2006, 02:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

you know, that actually never came to mind.. i presumed you formatted it :P

Once again my tiredness on this forum shows hee, forgot to mention that all my hdd's were already partitioned. Good to see you got the problem solved buddy!
Old 08-21-2006, 06:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

yea.. my last drive external prompted me to format it when i connected. that was the problem.
got a USB issue too (can't connect 2 USB mass storage devices at once for some reason) so i'm gonna use this opportunity to back everything up and reformat.

Closed Thread